In the fall of 2015, Towson University created an alumni task force to review best
practices and make recommendations for enhanced alumni engagement. Last spring, all
Towson University alumni received a survey asking for their feelings about TU and
the way we engage with them. This information details how we will move forward on
the feedback we received, in a university-wide collaboration with everyone who helps
make the TU experience a special and lifelong relationship.
Here’s what we learned:
- Most of our alumni had a good or excellent experience as a student at Towson University,
and speak well of us.
- Our alumni like how, and how often, we communicate with them.
- Our alumni would like to know more about what’s happening in their respective major
departments and colleges.
- Our alumni would like a better idea of the services and benefits we provide to them.
- Our alumni are busy or too far away to come to events, but still want to be invited.
- Our alumni give to TU with our students in mind, and want to know how we use their
gift, how they can support current Tigers, and how their gift supports rigorous academics.
- What’s most important to our alumni is being proud of and connected to TU, and they
want a better impression of how we make those connections, prepare students for careers,
and maintain academic excellence. This is where the value of their TU degree lies.
As a result of this input and recommended strategies from a task force, here’s what
we’re already doing:
TU Alumni Association
- new strategic plan
- revised organizational structure
- new officer election – spring 2017
TU Office of Alumni Relations
- new staffing model
- new resource allocation model
Former Vice President for University Advancement Gary Rubin ’69 retired in 2016. Our
new vice president for the Division of University Advancement, Brian J. DeFilippis,
will be developing a plan to implement the new models in the Office of Alumni Relations.
The work doesn’t stop there; all of our students, faculty and staff must live the
culture of a true TU community, as well.