The 2019 OAI Innovation in Teaching Award honors faculty who have implemented outstanding
innovative teaching approaches shown to increase student learning and success.
Innovative teaching is defined broadly and may include the use of new instructional
technologies, the use of traditional technologies in creative ways, novel approaches
to instruction, and new ways to engage students in the learning process.
Call for Nominations Open Through 10/17/2018
|Nominations due (No Exceptions)
|Award Recipients are notified
|Award Recipients are recognized
at the January Conference
Each award proposal is judged against the following criteria:
- The approach is innovative. Innovative teaching is defined broadly and may include
the use of new instructional technologies, the use of traditional technologies in
creative ways, novel approaches to instruction, and new ways to engage students in
the learning process.
- It must demonstrate a positive impact(s) on teaching effectiveness, student learning,
supporting diverse student learners, student readiness, and/or retention rates.
- It must address current teaching and learning trends, research, practices, issues,
and/or Towson University’s Presidential Priorities.
Each winning group will receive a commemorative plaque (presented to the Lead Faculty
member), and all group members will receive certificates of honor presented at the
January Conference on January 9, 2018.
In addition, winners will be featured on the OAI website.
- Proposals are accepted by individuals or groups of faculty of any standing (including
tenured, tenure-track, lecturers, clinical faculty, and adjunct faculty). A full-time
faculty member must be identified as the project lead.
- There is no limit to the number of faculty in the proposal. A lead faculty should
be responsible for submitting the final proposal.
- The innovative practices must have been completed within the past three (3) years.
Previous winners must wait three years before submitting a proposal as a lead faculty,
but may be included as part of a team.
Awards will selected through the following process:
- Nomination forms are submitted to OAI that include names of the nominees and a brief
description of the innovative teaching project. Self-nominations will be accepted
as well as nominations by colleagues, deans, chairpersons, or students.
- Nominees are notified and asked to complete a proposal form with supplementary materials
that document each aspect of the award criteria. Proposals can contain no more than
three (3) pages of supplemental materials and no more than two (2) links to related
media (e.g., a website or video). Names of individuals making the nominations will
be shared with the nominees.
- The Award Review Committee reviews the proposals and chooses a maximum of five (5)
winning teams or individuals with the aim of representing a wide range of disciplines.
Award Winning Projects 2018
Explore additional video interviews with past winners and view all winning projects.