Frequently Asked Questions

Graduation: Frequently Asked Questions

Students must apply for graduation to have their records reviewed and degrees posted. There are no fees to apply. First-time applicants apply online through Towson Online Services via the Student Center. Students previously "denied" must reapply for the term all requirements will be completed. Attending commencement is optional


What are the deadlines to apply?

There are three graduation application deadlines:

Spring - January 15
Summer - July 4
Fall - August 15

If you missed the deadline, please call the Graduation office at 410-704-2095 or email them at so an application can be processed for you.

Who is not eligible to apply for graduation?

Undergraduate students in "pre-major" status or who have less than a 2.0 GPA.

Graduate students who have less than a 3.0 GPA or are in non-degree status.

Please refer to the appropriate catalog for your academic requirements.

 What could hold up my graduation application?

Incomplete or missing grades - Contact your professor, adviser, and/or program director if there is an I or an IP grade listed.

Unauthorized Repeats - Make certain courses have been adjusted for repeats, third attempts, grades posted for incompletes, etc. A Third Attempt of a Course Petition will need to be completed for any unauthorized repeats.

Program Incorrect - Check to be sure you are listed in the correct major/minor. Undergraduate students should drop any major/minor you will not be completing by submitting the Change of Major Form. Graduate students should contact their advisor.

 Can I check my academic requirements online?

 Your Academic Requirements and progress can be viewed through your student center.

 The Commencement Ceremony.

 Please refer to the Commencement website for all information regarding commencement.



What do you mean by "graduation review"?

Applying for graduation is a request to have your records reviewed for program completion by the academic department and the Graduation Office.

The academic department reviews and notifies the Graduation Office that your degree requirements are complete or not.

The Graduation Office does a final review including degree requirements, gened/core requirements, etc.

Students determined to be ineligible to graduate will be notified.

What is the procedure for graduating with honors?

Undergraduate students may achieve recognition as honors graduates through Latin Honors, Departmental Honors, and as members of the Honors College.

Honors are evaluated after the ceremony and will appear on the transcript and diploma when awarded.

 When do final graduation evaluations take place?

Applicants are evaluated in the weeks following the end of the term. Students will be notified of their status as indicated below:

December applicants are evaluated during the first two weeks of January.
Notifications will be sent during the third week of January.

May applicants are evaluated during the first two weeks of June.
Notifications will be sent during the third week of June.

August applicants are evaluated during mid-August.
Notifications will be sent during the third week of August.

 What if I am denied for graduation?

 You will need to reapply for a later graduation term by contacting the Graduation Office.




When will my degree be posted?

Approximately 4-6 weeks after the end of the semester. To request an official transcript:

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed after the final evaluation of each student's record takes place to the permanent home address listed in your Student Center on the following schedule:

December graduates:  Late February
May graduates:  Late July
August graduate:  Late September

Students with judicial or financial holds will not receive their diplomas. Please contact the Graduation Office at once your hold has been resolved.

 How big is the diploma? What will be on it?

The diploma measures 14 inches wide by 11 inches long. For those graduates of the joint Towson University and University of Baltimore graduate programs, the diploma measures 15 inches wide by 12 inches long.

The hard copy of the diploma and the CeDiploma will both feature your name, degree, major and honors for qualifying students.

Please note:  Completed minors, tracks and concentrations will appear on your transcript, not on the diploma.

 Will my name appear on my diploma as listed on my student account?

Yes, this is how your name will appear in the commencement program and on your diploma. The Change of Name Form must be submitted with official documentation to the Registrar's Office if a change is needed. 

 How can I obtain a replacement diploma?

Please complete the Diploma Replacement Form.