NetIDs by Role

All faculty/staff receive NetIDs but a variety of faculty/staff-like NetIDs exist, each with slightly different processes for creation and maintenance based on role.

The list of the types of faculty/staff NetIDs below provides details on how each type of NetID is requested, created and maintained, based on the role of the user. Each of the faculty/staff roles may have a slightly different set of NetID services offered to them as well.

Requests for NetIDs and questions about these processes should be directed to OTS by submitting a TechHelp service request.

Faculty and Staff

Most faculty and staff, whether full-time or part-time, will receive a NetID automatically. Most NetIDs will be created once the "early provisioning" process or Human Resources orientation process is completed. Employment and contract information is used to trigger the creation of the NetID.

When a faculty/staff NetID is created, OTS will automatically notify any personal email address already on file. The supervisor will also be notified.

The NetID will persist as long as employment and contract information indicates the individual still has a faculty/staff role.

"Non-Employee" Staff

There are a number of individuals working at the university, employed for vendors with a permanent presence on campus, who are also entitled to faculty/staff NetIDs. These individuals always have a TUID number (also known as a PeopleSoft EmplID) and usually have OneCards.

Examples of non-employee staff include those who work for organizations such as Chartwells, Aramark, and Compass.

Requesting a NetID for "Non-Employee" Staff

NetIDs for non-employee staff must be requested manually by a supervisor or other sponsor. The sponsor should submit a request for the new NetID to OTS using TechHelp. Specify the intended duration of the NetID, up to one year (which can be extended before the end of that year). The sponsor will be notified when the NetID is created.

The sponsor of the NetID will automatically receive an email one month prior to the NetID being disabled, and will have the opportunity to extend the expiration date up to one year.


Retirees and faculty emeritus can continue to use their same NetID after they leave the university, which allows for continued access to a subset of services.  

Retirees are still responsible for keeping their password updated, and can refer to the "Other Faculty/Staff NetID Tools" section of the NetID Management page for instructions.


There are many cases where visitors, vendors and other guests of the university need to receive a NetID for access to basic computing services. These are known as Guest NetIDs. Individuals without TUID numbers (also known as PeopleSoft EmplIDs) who require NetIDs must receive a Guest NetID.

Examples of Guest NetID holders include:

  • visitors
  • volunteers
  • technology vendors
  • contractors
  • auditors
  • other long-term guests who need to log into campus systems or access other NetID-restricted computing resources
  • campus IT staff and lab managers may have a need for Guest NetIDs for testing and maintaining their computers

Visitors who simply need Internet access from mobile devices should use the open wireless network and may not require a NetID.

Requesting a Guest NetID

Each Guest NetID can have one or more sponsors. One sponsor requests the NetID, who will be notified when the NetID is created. Any sponsor can then manage the NetID, which includes the ability to extend expiration dates up to one year at a time, reset the password, or immediately expire the NetID. The sponsor of the NetID will automatically receive an email prior to the NetID being disabled, and will have the opportunity to extend the expiration date up to one year.

Tools are available for requesting and managing Guest NetIDs.

Student Employee Access

Student employees may require additional access to technology services for their job.

Supervisors of student employees are responsible for requesting additional access to services (and for notifying when access is no longer needed).  A student employee's additional access is granted to their regular student NetID.

Requesting A Student Employee Exchange Mailbox

Some student employees may require an Exchange mailbox. This is a faculty/staff-like mailbox in Office 365, in addition to the student's Webmail Powered by Google mailbox.

Supervisors should not request that a student employee receive an Exchange mailbox unless absolutely necessary, since it requires that the student manage two separate mailboxesAn Exchange mailbox is not required if the student employee only needs to access a maildrop (group mailbox). However, if a student employee needs to participate in shared calendaring in Exchange, then they may require an Exchange mailbox.

Contact the OTS Help Center for guidance or to request an Exchange mailbox.

Requesting Student Employee Access to File Shares

If a student employee needs access to a file share, the supervisor should contact the individual responsible for managing access to that file share.  The sponsor of that file share can manage access using the Sponsored Group Management application, found in the Faculty/Staff NetID Tools section of the NetID Tools page.

Use the Sponsored Group Management application to locate the sponsor for a file share access group, or contact the OTS Help Center for help in identifying sponsors.

Requesting Student Employee Access to PeopleSoft

Student employees may be granted elevated access to PeopleSoft when there is a business need. Supervisors should go to the Forms Repository to complete the appropriate form to request access. Supervisors should also request that access be revoked once a student employee's employment ends.

Questions about what access in PeopleSoft is needed can often be directed to the appropriate business office (e.g., Enrollment Services, Financial Services), or to OTS by submitting a request through TechHelp

Requesting Student Employee Access to Other Systems

Supervisors who wish to request access for their student employees to other systems should contact the technical contact for that system. Many applications are managed by business units outside of OTS. For example, access to specific SharePoint sites requires that the supervisor contact the SharePoint site's owner(s).

Server Administrators

A small number of campus IT staff who need to administer servers (whether Windows or Linux) will require a separate Server Administrator NetID in addition to their regular faculty/staff NetID. This Server Administrator NetID has almost none of the normal faculty/staff NetID services available to it, and is meant to be used solely for managing servers.

Requesting a Server Admin NetID

Instructions for requesting and maintaining a Server Administrator NetID are available.