Faculty, staff celebrated for outstanding service, dedication to TU
Professor Thomas Krause lauded for 45 years teaching physics
April 5, 2022
Forty-five years later, he's among the most-tenured members of TU's faculty and staff.
"I'm enjoying it as much as when I started," says Krause, who teaches calculus-based physics. "It's the fellow faculty, and it's the students that have really made this a wonderful place to be. And I'm just very thankful for that."
The university celebrated Krause's years of service at the 2022 Faculty & Staff Annual Recognition Event at SECU Arena April 5. Krause was one of dozens of employees honored during the gathering.
There were 12 faculty and staff members recognized for 35 years, and six more honored for 30 years of service to the university. Dozens more were recognized for their 5-, 10-, 15-, 20- or 25-year anniversaries. All honorees in attendance were invited on stage for a photo with President Kim Schatzel.
Schatzel echoed Krause's sentiments in her remarks at the event.
"As we all know it is the people that make a place special, and I am blessed to be part of a university that has the best people in the entire University System of Maryland," she said.
Diversity and Inclusion Awards
Four Diversity and Inclusion Awards were presented by Patricia Bradley, vice president for inclusion and equity, to:
- The Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life, represented by Carly Heasley, Taylor Sevik and Roodinz Vital, for administrative department
- Department of Electronic Media and Film, for academic department
- Dena Barnwell, Business Office Operations Manager at the Ticket Office, OneCard & Business Office, for staff
- Robert Tappen, Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, for faculty
USM Board of Regents Awards
The event also recognized faculty and staff members for their 2021 and 2022 University System of Maryland Board of Regents Awards.
The 2022 faculty recipients were:
- Emily Bailey, associate professor of philosophy & religious studies, for Excellence in Teaching
- Brian Fath, professor of biological sciences, for Excellence in Scholarship, Research, & Creativity
- Petra Tsuji, associate professor of biological sciences, for Excellence in Mentoring
The 2021 staff recipients were:
- Patricia Watson, assistant director of sustainability, for Extraordinary Public Service to the University or to the Greater Community.
- Julie Leary, associate director of client services in the Office of Technology Services, for Effectiveness and Efficiency.