Towson University’s integrated elementary and special education major offers dual certification that brings together innovative study and hands-on experiences. Get the knowledge and skills you need to be a highly effective educator.
Why Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Integrated Elementary Education and Special Education (EESE)?
The field of special education is rapidly changing. There is a critical need for teachers who can meet the cognitive, behavioral, social, emotional, linguistic and cultural needs of all children in the classroom.
This specially designed, integrated major provides the opportunity to become certified in both elementary education (1-6) and special education (1-8). This degree prepares you to be an elementary classroom teacher or an elementary/middle special education teacher.
This comprehensive program offers:
- innovative and dynamic course work that helps you develop successful instruction and classroom management strategies
- transformative, real-world experiences through internship placements, offered in multiple school districts throughout the state of Maryland
- experienced faculty-mentors committed to your success
- a supportive cohort of fellow Towson University students studying elementary education-special education
- collaborative partnerships with families, communities and agencies
The Center for Professional Practice connects students to field placements and clinical internships. Both provide students a rich and diverse experience in various content areas, classes, grades and schools.
Admission and Degree Requirements
Admission to the integrated elementary education and special education major is selective. Students must meet the university’s requirements for admission to the professional education program and to the internship. View admission requirements for the major.
You can view degree requirements for the integrated elementary education and special education major in the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Elementary Education-Special Education Degree Requirement Checklist (DOCX)
- Integrated Elementary/Special Education Application (DOCX)
|PROGRAM||ADVISOR/ OFFICE||EMAIL ADDRESS||PHONE|
|Pre-EESE Majors||Michelle Pasko
Hawkins Hall 403B
|EESE Juniors||Michelle Pasko
Hawkins Hall 403B
|EESE Seniors||Patricia Rice Doran
Hawkins Hall 403C
Why TOWSON University?
- Towson University’s long history and reputation as an excellent teacher training institution
- programs accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Maryland State Department of Education
- professional development and networking opportunities with alumni in the field through social media and on-campus programs
- interaction with diverse populations during service-learning activities with students and families
- technology-rich coursework and internship experiences
Earn Your Degree at Towson University in Northeastern Maryland
Students in northeastern Maryland can obtain a bachelor’s degree in integrated elementary education-special education at Towson University in Northeastern Maryland (TUNE), located on the Harford Community College campus. Earn your bachelor’s degree without leaving Harford County. Read more about undergraduate programs at TUNE, or email program coordinator Toni Guidi, tguidi AT_TOWSON.
Towson University and the Universities at Shady Grove
Earn a bachelor’s degree in integrated elementary education and special education through the Universities at Shady Grove (USG), located in Montgomery County, Md. Read more about undergraduate programs at USG.