The Department of Physics, Astronomy & Geosciences inspires students to explore the physical forces that shape our world and the celestial bodies beyond us.
Towson University’s programs in physics, astronomy and geosciences prepare students for a range of careers in education, industry and government. They also provide the solid academic foundation needed for graduate study. Find out more about the advantages of studying physics, astronomy and geosciences at Towson University.
What We Offer
The department offers students:
- small classes taught by faculty dedicated to teaching and scholarship
- opportunities to conduct research under faculty supervision in the lab and in the field
- state-of-the-art facilities and equipment
- highly individualized advising, including detailed four-year degree completion planning, research and internship guidance, and career counseling
- innovative Towson UTeach program that allows teachers-in-training to complete a bachelor’s degree and teacher certification course work in four years
- dual-degree programs, such as the five-year master’s in computer science/bachelor’s in physics and an engineering program in cooperation with University of Maryland, College Park
- advantageous location along the Baltimore/Washington corridor near many national agencies and institutes, including Aberdeen Proving Ground, Goddard Space Flight Center, Space Telescope Science Institute, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Institute of Standards and Technology and the Army Research Laboratory
Areas of Study
News & Events
TU GEO Careers wins NSF grant
Towson University's Geoscience Educational Opportunities for Careers (GEO Careers) received a grant to help meet the need for geoscientists.
Scientists find a new way to see inside black holes
Honors physics students take 8th graders "back to the future"
TU students visited Immaculate Conception School to teach science concepts.
From Legos to LIGO: alumnus Ryan Everett’s journey into physics history
TU alumnus a small part of a big discovery