What Can I Do With This Discipline/Major?
For helpful resources on your career opportunities, explore the "What Can I Do with
This Major" guides for healthcare sciences.
Some common career titles for this major include:
- Cardiovascular Technologists
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians
- Dental Hygienists
- EMTs and Paramedics
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Massage Therapists
- Medical Assistants
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physician Assistants
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Radiologic Technologists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Surgical Technologists
- Veterinary Technologists
Other Job Titles:
- Clinical Coordinator
- Diagnostic Medical Technologist
- Dietetic Technician
- Health Information Manager
- Program Director
For additional career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook
for hundreds of occupations, visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Internships and Research Opportunities
Getting applied experience in your field is critical. The following resources will
allow you to learn more about your department’s opportunities and process, as well
introduce you to other major-specific internship posting resources.
Careers and Jobs
The resources below are a starting point for your job search. In addition to making
use of the Internet to do research, we encourage you to talk to people in the fields
you are interested in (don’t forget to use TU’s Tiger Mentor Network to learn more about specific opportunities and organizations.
Sample Resumes and Interview Questions
For major specific resume samples, we encourage you to look at the Sample Allied Health Resume (PDF) in addition to our Sample Resume Database.
Below are sample interview questions for your field. In preparing for the interview,
you’ll also want to review common interview questions (PDF)asked of all majors, thoroughly research the organization, dress professionally, and
visit the interview skills section of the Career Center’s website. You can practice your interview skills online
via Big Interview or schedule a mock interview with a Career Center staff member.
Common industry related questions
- What made you decide to enter the healthcare field?
- Which clinical specialty area have you enjoyed the most and why?
- How will you deal with difficult doctors?
- Tell us about a time when you had deal with a difficult patient and/or family. How
did you handle that situation?
- What type of health care experience do you have?
- Tell us about a time in which you had to handle an irate physician, co-worker, or
patient. How did you handle it and what were the results?
- Demonstrate the steps you would take to create a treatment plan for a patient. Provide
examples if applicable.
- What do you believe are essential qualities you must possess to be successful in the
- What do you see as the most serious health problem facing us today?
- What problems do you see in the American health care delivery system?
- What recommendations would you make for improvement?
Professional associations offer many benefits to students, often including reduced-price
membership, mentorship programs, “careers in…” information, job and internship listings,
field-related conferences and publications, and much more. Be sure to check out sections
on the associations’ websites related to students, education, careers, etc.