What Can I Do With This Discipline/Major?
For helpful resources on your career opportunities, explore the “What Can I Do with
This Major” guides for human services and child/family studies.
Some common career titles for this major include:
- Art Therapist
- Childcare Workers
- Drug and Alcohol Prevention Counselors
- Family Therapist
- Youth Worker
For additional career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook
for hundreds of occupations, visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Careers in Family & Human Services
Internships and Research Opportunities
Getting applied experience in your field is critical. The following resources will
allow you to learn more about your department’s opportunities and process, as well
introduce you to other major-specific internship posting resources. For more information, email Gillian Gregory, family & human services internship coordinator.
Careers and Jobs
The resources below are a starting point for your job search. In addition to making
use of the Internet to do research, we encourage you to talk to people in the fields
you are interested in (don’t forget to use TU’s Tiger Mentor Network) to learn more about specific opportunities and organizations.
Sample Resumes and Interview Questions
For major specific resume samples, we encourage you to look at the Sample Family & Human Services Resume (PDF) in addition to our Sample Resume Database.
Below are sample interview questions for your field. In preparing for the interview,
you’ll also want to review common interview questions (PDF) asked of all majors, thoroughly research the organization, dress professionally,
and visit the interview skills section of the Career Center’s website. You can practice your interview skills online
via Big Interview or schedule a mock interview with a Career Center staff member.
Art therapist related questions
- What made you choose to apply to Art Therapist?
- What have you learned from your past jobs?
- What are top three knowledge /top three skills for Art Therapists?
- Describe two or three major trends in the field?
Childcare worker related questions
- Tell us about yourself.
- What have you learned from your mistakes in the childcare field?
- What have you done to improve your childcare knowledge within the last year?
- How do you handle discipline issues?
Counselor related questions
- Which counseling theories have had the greatest influence upon your approach?
- How would you handle a client or parent who was dissatisfied with your services?
- What do you think is the most important personality trait of a counselor?
- Describe a high stress situation which you have encountered on the job and how you
- How have you tapped technology to carry out your role more effectively?
- How do you create good relationships with clients?
- How do you establish empathy but avoid burnout by internalizing client problems?
Professional associations offer many benefits to students, often including reduced-price
membership, mentorship programs, “careers in…” information, job and internship listings,
field-related conferences and publications, and much more. Be sure to check out sections
on the associations’ websites related to students, education, careers, etc.
Related TU Student Organizations