What Can I Do With This Discipline/Major?
For helpful resources on your career opportunities, explore the “What Can I Do with
This Major” guides for management and healthcare sciences.
Some common career titles for this major include:
- Administrative Services Managers
- Budget Analysts
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Management Analysts
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Operations Research Analysts
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Accounts Manager
- Adult Day Services Administrator
- Assisted Living Administrator
- Chief Operating Officer
- Director of Volunteer Services
- Health Information Systems Manager
- Health Insurance Specialist
- Health Service Director
- Managed Care Coordinator
- Medical Group Practice Manager
- Nursing Home Administrator
- Pharmaceutical Representative
- Practice Manager
- Quality Assurance Director
- Sales Consultant
For additional career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook
for hundreds of occupations, visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Careers in Health Care Management
Internships and Research Opportunities
Getting applied experience in your field is critical. The following resources will
allow you to learn more about your department’s opportunities and process, as well
introduce you to other major-specific internship posting resources. For more information, email Wendy Whitner, (Health Care Management Internship Coordinator), or Dr. Dietra Wengert (Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certificate Coordinator).
Careers and Jobs
The resources below are a starting point for your job search. In addition to making
use of the Internet to do research, we encourage you to talk to people in the fields
you are interested in (don’t forget to use TU’s Career Mentor Database) to learn more about specific opportunities and organizations.
Sample Resumes and Interview Questions
For major specific resume samples, we encourage you to look at the Sample Health Care Management Resume (PDF) in addition to our Sample Resume Database.
Below are sample interview questions for your field. In preparing for the interview,
you’ll also want to review common interview questions (PDF) asked of all majors, thoroughly research the organization, dress professionally,
and visit the interview skills section of the Career Center’s website. You can practice your interview skills online
via Big Interview or schedule a mock interview with a Career Center staff member.
Common industry related questions
- Priorities often change suddenly throughout the day. If you are asked to quickly do
another task, how does that affect your mood? What if it's the third time before noon?
- Are 24/7 operations like relay races where you take the baton, run with it and then
pass it on smoothly. How do you make seamless transitions on shift changes?
- Have you ever had to follow a policy you didn't agree with? What were the results?
- What prompted your interest in healthcare?
- As an administrator, how would you reconcile business and humanitarian concerns regarding
- What are the most important issues emerging in healthcare management? Prioritize them.
- Share an experience in which your attention to detail and thoroughness had an impact
on your last company.
- Would you consider analyzing data or information a strength? How so?
- Share an experience in which your ability to consider the costs or benefits of a potential
action helped you choose the most appropriate action.
- How would you rate your writing skills?
Professional associations offer many benefits to students, often including reduced-price
membership, mentorship programs, “careers in…” information, job and internship listings,
field-related conferences and publications, and much more. Be sure to check out sections
on the associations’ websites related to students, education, careers, etc.