What Can I Do With This Discipline/Major?
Some common career titles for this major include:
For additional career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook
for hundreds of occupations, visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Career in Occupational Therapy
Internships and Research Opportunities
Getting applied experience in your field is critical. The following resources will
allow you to learn more about your department’s opportunities and process, as well
introduce you to other major-specific internship posting resources. For more information,
email Professor Jerry Bentley, TU Occupational Therapy Department Fieldwork Administrator.
Fieldwork Placement Opportunities (For students Affiliated with the major):
Research/Internship Opportunities (For students unaffiliated with the major):
Careers and Jobs
The resources below are a starting point for your job search. In addition to making
use of the Internet to do research, we encourage you to talk to people in the fields
you are interested in (don’t forget to use TU’s Career Mentor Database) to learn more about specific opportunities and organizations.
Sample Resumes and Interview Questions
For major specific resume samples, we encourage you to look at the Sample Occupational Therapy Resume (PDF) in addition to our Sample Resume Database.
Below are sample interview questions for your field. In preparing for the interview,
you’ll also want to review common interview questions (PDF) asked of all majors, thoroughly research the organization, dress professionally,
and visit the interview skills section of the Career Center’s website. You can practice your interview skills online
via Big Interview or schedule a mock interview with a Career Center staff member.
Common industry related questions
- What is your opinion on how an Occupational Therapy team should function?
- What do you think are the three most important skills necessary for success in Occupational
- Describe a time when you delivered a positive experience for the patient.
- Tell us about a situation where you managed risk effectively.
- How would you respond to someone who was verbally hostile towards you?
- Tell us about a standardized assessment you have used.
- What is an effective method you have used to determine realistic rehabilitation goals
- Describe a particularly difficult challenge that you helped a patient to overcome.
- What do you understand the role of an occupational therapist to be in this setting?
Professional associations offer many benefits to students, often including reduced-price
membership, mentorship programs, “careers in…” information, job and internship listings,
field-related conferences and publications, and much more. Be sure to check out sections
on the associations’ websites related to students, education, careers, etc.
Related TU Student Organization