All student employees age 17 and under MUST have a valid work permit on file for the
State of Maryland BEFORE beginning work. The process is easy, convenient, and can
be started prior to the student arriving on campus.
- View and print out the Application for Work Permit for a Minor
- Complete the top section of the application; once complete, sign the "Signature of
Minor" located at the bottom of the page
- Have your Employer (hiring department) complete the Employer section of the Application
- Have your parent or guardian sign the Application on the designated line
- Minors should fax the completed work permit application AND proof of age to 410-333-7303.
The minor also needs to indicate how he/she prefers to receive the permit: fax or
- Or, if you do not have access to a fax machine, bring all of your documents to the
Career Center and we can fax them for you in lieu of an issuing officer
Undergraduate Academic Criteria: It is recommended that undergraduate students be in good academic standing as defined
by the current TU Undergraduate Catalog:
- Undergraduate Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) Required
1 - 29.5
30 - 59.5
60 and above
Graduate Academic Criteria
Graduate students must be in good academic standing as defined by the current TU Graduate
Catalog: minimum 3.0 GPA is required for all courses taken for graduate credit whether
or not they are required for the degree.
Credit Load During Fall and Spring Semesters
- Undergraduate and graduate students must be enrolled or participating in a TU-related
program allowing on-campus employment.
- International undergraduate students with F-1 visa status must be registered for at
least 12 credit hours as part of their immigration requirement (see ISSO website –
- Graduate students with graduate assistantships must be registered for at least one
course or three credit hours.
- International graduate students with F-1 visa status must be registered for at least
nine credit hours as part of their immigration requirement (see ISSO website – Employment).
Students who have graduated (RSE only)
- Spring graduates may continue to work throughout the summer. Employment must be completed
before the first day of the fall semester.
- Fall graduates may continue employment throughout the minimester session. Employment
must be completed before the first day of the spring semester.
- Summer graduates are considered August graduates; employment must be completed before
the first day of the fall semester.
Students Who Have Graduated (FWS only)
- Spring graduates employed through FWS must stop working on or before the last day
of the spring term.
- Fall graduates employed through FWS must stop working on or before the last day of
the fall term
Complete Withdrawal: Student employees who withdraw from TU are no longer eligible to work.