Residency Requirements

Find out if you qualify for in-state or out-of-state tuition rates. Information for undocumented students on the Maryland Dream Act and DACA students is also provided here. 

Qualifying for In-State Tuition

To determine whether a student qualifies for in-state or out-of-state tuition, Towson University follows guidelines established by the University System of Maryland Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes. Individuals seeking in-state tuition status shall have the burden of proving that they satisfy all requirements of this policy, and in-state or out-of-state status will be assigned by the university upon review of the facts known or presented to it.

The initial determination for in-state residency will be based on the information you provide at the time you complete your application. Contact University Admissions at 410-704-2113 or email  if you have questions.


Changing Your Residency Status

New applicants who do not initially qualify for in-state residency can petition the tuition review committee for consideration. Please email  to obtain the instructions and petition form. Official Comptroller copies of your Maryland income tax returns are required, so please allow extra time to meet this requirement. The deadline to petition is the last day of drop/add for the term you wish to be considered.

After the first term of attendance, students who wish to change their residency status should contact the Office of the Registrar to obtain a Petition for In-State Residency at  or 410-704-3104.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Towson University does not taken into account the citizenship of applicants for admission purposes. All applications are evaluated on merit and space availability within programs. Citizenship is never used to displace students from space within the university. It is however used when determining tuition and aid. Students who are non-U.S. citizens should fill out the regular admission application. F-1 or J-1 students should fill out the international admissions application. Contact University Admissions at 410-704-2113 or  for more information.

Undocumented Students—Maryland Dream Act

The Maryland Dream Act provides graduates of Maryland high schools who are undocumented immigrants the opportunity to pay in-state tuition rates. Students must meet certain requirements. To apply for Dream Act status and view all requirements, please complete the Dream Application (PDF) and return it to University Admissions prior to the start of the term. For more information, please call 410-704-2113 or email .    

Undocumented Students—DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program protects eligible immigrant youth who came to the United States when they were children from deportation. DACA students can temporarily qualify for in-state tuition if they submit the approval notification of their Deferred Action status (I-797, notice of action) to University Admissions prior to the start of the term. Deferred Action status must be held for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term to be eligible for in-state tuition rates. If this status is not held for 12 months, students should submit their application receipt to assist with establishing 12 months. For more information, please call 410-704-2113 or email .

Applying for DACA and renewal requirements

View information about how to apply for DACA and DACA renewal from the Department of Homeland Security. You can apply for your DACA renewal 150 to 120 days prior to the expiration date. If you apply for renewal in this time range, you should receive an approval notice and new work permit before your current one expires.

Resources for Undocumented Students

Local Resources

National Resources

Legal Resources

Aid for Undocumented Students

The FAFSA is used primarily to apply for federal aid, including federal student loans, state aid, and need-based institutional aid. Undocumented students, including DACA and Dream Act students, are not eligible to receive federal aid, grants or scholarships from the Maryland Higher Education Commission, or need-based grants from Towson University. Information about other aid options for undocumented students is available from TU’s Financial Aid Office.


University Admissions


Enrollment Services Building 


Campus Tours and
Open House Programs:

Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.