Types of Student Employment

Students may be hired to work on campus through a variety of programs. Read the descriptions below to learn more.

Professor working looking at book with student in library
Students have many different kinds of opportunities for on-campus employment. Which one is right for you?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides jobs for students (first and second bachelor's degree or graduate students) who demonstrate financial need. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required; awards are made on a first come first serve basis. The student works to earn the money paid – the award is not applied to the student’s account. Students who are hired by a department and paid with Federal Work Study funding must satisfy all general financial aid requirements before they will be eligible to work. Students selected for federal verification must submit all requested documents and be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office before an authorization to work will be granted.

Regular Student Employment (RSE) allows students to work on-campus paid through other funding sources, such as a department’s budget. Completion of the FAFSA is not required.

Graduate Assistantships are available for Master’s or Doctoral degree seeking students who may be placed in academic programs, administrative offices, external works sites, or other sites approved by the Graduate Dean. Benefits for graduate, teaching and research assistants include a stipend and tuition waiver that vary according to the length of employment (months) and the number of hours worked per week (10 or 20). Learn more about graduate assistantships, or log in to Handshake and go to Job/Internship Search > Position Type: Graduate Assistantship.

Internships provide students with short-term professional experiences related to their major or career goals. The work is performed in a professional environment under the guidance and supervision of a staff member with expertise in the student’s field of interest. Both paid and unpaid internships are available at on- and off-campus sites. Learn more about internships.

Resident Assistants are full-time, undergraduate students who are trained as peer leaders to supervise those living in on-campus residence halls. An RA has many roles and responsibilities including, but not limited to, acting as a para-counselor for students, being a familiar first resource for students with academic or institutional questions and enforcing residence policies. Compensation includes room and meal plan and a $25 per week stipend. Learn more about how to become a Resident Assistant.

International Students (On-Campus Employment) interested in working while on their student visas have specific rules, regulations, and limitations. The International Student and Scholar Office provides detailed information regarding on-campus employment for international students.