Dr. King-White earned his PhD in Kinesiology from the University of Maryland – College
Park in 2008. Since then he has taught 10 courses in Towson’s Sport Management Program
with great success. King-White has led 4 study abroad programs to San Juan, PR, Santo
Domingo, DR, and the United Kingdom while planning for a new one in Athens, Greece.
Ryan is also a productive researcher and has 7 peer-review journal articles, 6 book
chapters, and over 40 academic presentations to his name. Notably he won the Sociology
of Sport 2010 journal article of the year, and had an article designated as For the
Sociology of Sport spotlight article in 2012. Dr. King-White, also focuses on alumni
development and hosts an annual fundraiser golf tournament to supplement study abroad
programming, and a cook-out for top graduating seniors.
- King-White, R. (2017). Ethnographic Approaches. In D. Andrews & M. Silk (Eds.), Handbook for Physical Cultural Studies, pp. 484-494. New York: Routledge.
- Spencer, N., Adamson, M., Allgayer, S., Castaneda, Y., Haugen, M., King-White, R., Kluch, Y., Rinehart, R. & Walton-Fisette, T. (2016). International Review of Qualitative Research, 9(4), 489-514.
- King-White, R., DeLuca, J. & Batts, C. (In Press). “What “counts” as critical intervention
from three perspectives.
The Review of Education, Pedagogy, and Cultural Studies
- King-White, R. (2013). I am not a scientist: Being honest with oneself and the researched
in critical interventionist research.
Sociology of Sport Journal, 30(3)296-322.
- King-White, R., Newman, J. I. & Giardina, M. (2013). Articulating fatness: Obesity,
neoliberalism, and the scientific tautologies of bodily accumulation.
The Review of Education, Pedagogy, and Cultural Studies 35(2), 79-102.
- Wiest, A. & King-White, R. (2013). Selling out (in) sport management: Practically
evaluating the state of the (American sporting) union.
Sport Education & Society, 18(2), 200-221.
- King-White, R. (2012) Oh Henry!: Physical cultural studies critical pedagogical imperative.
Sociology of Sport Journal 29(3), 385-408.
- King-White, R. (2010). Danny Almonte: Discursive constructions of (im)migrant citizenship
in neoliberal America.
Sociology of Sport Journal 27(2), 178-199.
- The Towson Transformation - A History of Institutional and Athletic Development 1975-Present
- Critical Ethnography in Physical Cultural Studies
- Critical Pedagogy in the Sport Management Classroom
- Experiential learning through study abroad
- Chair, College of Health Professions Diversity Committee
- Director of Alumni Relations - Sport Management
- Curator - King-White Speaker Series for Sport Management
- First Year Experience and Transfer Advisor
|currently Teaching - fall 2015
||Sport & Society
||Honors Sport & Society
||Cultural Economy of Sport