Ph.D., Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, Texas, USA, 2008
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1995
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing, China,
Areas of Expertise
Cybersecurity and privacy, Cyber-Physical Systems/Internet of Things, Data Science,
and Machine Learning Driven Applications
Dr. Wei Yu is a Full Professor with the Department of Computer and Information Sciences,
Towson University, Towson, MD, U.S. He has been the Ph.D. program director in Information
Technology since January 2023. Dr. Wei Yu received the Ph.D. degree in Computer Engineering
from Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, U.S., in 2008. His research interests
include cybersecurity and privacy, cyber-physical systems/Internet of Things, data
and machine learning applications.
Scholarship, Creative Activity:
The Wilson H. Elkins Professorship, University System of Maryland (USM), 2016.
University System of Maryland (USM) Regents’ Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarship,
Research, or Creative Activity, 2015.
NSF Faculty CAREER Award: Towards Secured and Efficient Energy-based Critical Infrastructure,
09/2014 – 08/2021.
2012 Excellence in Scholarship Award, Fisher College of Science and Mathematics at
Best Paper Awards: 2020 IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress (CyberSciTech), 2020 IEEE International
Conference on Dependable, Automatic and Secure Computing (DASC), 2016 IEEE International
Performance Computing and Communication Conference (IPCCC), 2013 IEEE International
Conference on Communication (ICC) — Communication and Information Security Symposium,
and 2008 IEEE International Conference on Communication (ICC) — Information and Network
Scholarly Papers | Synopsis:
- Chen, P. Tian, W. Liao, X. Chen, G. Xu, and W. Yu, “Resource-aware Knowledge Distillation
for Federated Learning,” to appear in IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing,
- Qian, X. Liu, C. Ripley, M. Qian, F. Liang, and W. Yu, “Digital Twin - Cyber Replica
of Physical Things: Architecture, Applications and Future Research Directions,” Journal
of Future Internet, 14(2), 2022.
- Tian, W. Liao, and W. Yu, “An Asynchronous Federated Denoising Autoencoder based Anomaly
Detection System,” Journal of Computer and Security, 108(C), September 2021.
- Xu, X. Liu, W. G. Hatcher, G. Xu, W. Liao, and W. Yu, “Priority-aware Reinforcement
Learning-Based Integrated Design of Networking and Control for Industrial Internet
of Things,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 8(6), 4668-4680, March 2021.
- Chen, P. Tian, W. Liao, and W. Yu, “Zero Knowledge Clustering Based Adversarial Mitigation
in Heterogeneous Federated Learning,” IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering,
8(2): 1070-1083, April-June 2021.
- Gao, W. Yu, F. Liang, W. G. Hatcher, and C. Lu, “Privacy-Preserving Big Data Auction
Using Homomorphic Encryption,” IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineer,
7(2): 776-791, 2020.
- Gao, J. Nguyen, Y. Wu, W. G. Hatcher, and W. Yu, “Routing in Large-Scale Dynamic Networks:
A Bloom Filter-Based Dual-Layer Scheme,” ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT),
20 (4): 1-24, 2020.
- Liang, W. G. Hatcher, W. Liao, W. Gao, and W. Yu, “Machine Learning for Security and
the Internet of Things: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” IEEE Access, 7: 158126-158147,
- Liang, C. Qian, W. G. Hatcher, and W. Yu, “Search Engine for the Internet of Things:
Lessons from Web Search, Vision, and Opportunities,” IEEE Access, 7: 104673-104691,
- G. Hatcher and W. Yu, “A Survey of Deep Learning: Applications and Emerging Research
Trends,” IEEE Access, 6: 24411 – 24432, April 2018.
- Lin, W. Yu, N. Zhang, X. Yang, H. Zhang, and W. Zhao, “A Survey on Internet of Things:
Architecture, Enabling Technologies, Security and Privacy, and Applications,” IEEE
Internet-of-Things (IoT) Journal, 4(5): 1125 - 1142, October 2017.
- Yu, F. Liang, X. He, W. G. Hatcher, C. Lu, J. Lin, and X. Yang, “A Survey on the Edge
Computing for the Internet of Things,” IEEE Access, 6: 6900 - 6919, November 2017.
- Xu, W. Yu, Z. Chen, H. Zhang, P. Moulema, X. Fu, and C. Lu, “A Cloud Computing Based
System for Network Security Management,” International Journal of Parallel, Emergent
and Distributed Systems (IJPEDS) – Taylor & Francis, 30(1):29-45, 2015.
- Yang, J. Yang, W. Yu, D. An, N. Zhang, and W. Zhao, “On False Data-Injection Attacks
against Power System State Estimation: Modeling and Countermeasures,” IEEE Transactions
on Parallel and Distributed System (TPDS), 25(3): 717-729, 2014.
- Ling, J. Luo, W. Yu, X. Fu, D. Xuan, and W. Jia, “A New Cell Counter Based Attack
Against Tor,” in Proc. of 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security
(CCS), August 2009.
- Yu, X. Fu, S. Graham, D. Xuan, and W. Zhao, “DSSS-Based Flow Marking Technique for
Invisible Traceback,” in Proc. of IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (S&P), May
2007 (Acceptance ratio=8.3%)
- Senior Area Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2021
- Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2020 – ongoing
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2017 –
- Associate Editor, IEEE Access, 2017 – ongoing
- Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue on AI-Enabled Internet of Dependable and Controllable
Things, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2020
- Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue on Distributed Computing Infrastructure for Cyber
Physical Systems, IEEE Access, 2019
- Co-Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue on Security and Privacy in Cyber-Physical Systems,
IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2016-2017
- Program Symposium/Track-Chair, Internet of Things (ICCCN 2019), MLCN (ICNC 2019),
COG (ICNC 2018 and 2014), MRN (ICCCN 2015), WN (CCNC 2013)
- Publicity Chair, IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2017
- Web Chair, IEEE/ACM Cyber-Physical System (CPS) Week, 2012
- Keynote Talk: 2019 IEEE SmartCityCom Workshop (ICCCN), 2016 IEEE International Workshop
on IoT/CPS-security (ICC)
- TPC member: INFOCOM, ICC & GLOBECOM, 2012-present; WCNC 2013-present; MILCOM 2011-present;
Memberships / Affiliations:
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)