Yes. All degree candidates participating in Commencement are required to wear the current official university regalia (with university seal and gold bordered sleeves), which is available for purchase through the University Store.
Degree candidates who will joined a branch of the United State's military as a commissioned officer may wear the formal military attire. Please complete the Military Service Attire Approval Form to register this preference.
After submitting your Commencement registration, (see Checklist for Degree Candidates), you will be directed to the cap and gown ordering site. The deadline to purchase your cap and gown is August 9th.
To Purchase your cap & gown online follow the link sent in your Commencement registration confirmation. Additional questions can be directed towards the Ustore.
Doctoral students who wish to purchase a custom doctoral gown and tam must place an order six weeks before the October ceremony. The Office of Graduate Studies will provide the hood.
Most degree candidates wear business professional or business casual attire under their gowns. Because candidates walk long distances to and from the ceremony, we also recommend that you wear comfortable shoes.
Cap or gown decorations that are motivated by animosity against a person or group because of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, national origin, or homelessness, or which infringe on the rights and freedom of others will not be tolerated. Examples include: profanity, symbols for or references to alcohol or controlled substances, and hate speech.
A universal tip for all graduates is to take your cap and gown out of the package a few days prior to the ceremony to allow the wrinkles from packaging to fall. For perfect pictures, we encourage graduates to go the extra mile and low heat iron or steam their gown prior to ceremony day. Additional details about regalia are provided below.
- Master's and bachelor's candidates wear a black, mid-calf gown with the university seal embroidered on the lapel.
- Appropriate business or business casual attire must be worn beneath the regalia. Shorts and tennis shoes are discouraged unless needed for mobility reasons.
Cap & tassel
- Master's and baccalaureate candidates wear the black mortar board (cap) designated by the university. The caps are elasticized--one-size fits all.
- The mortar board should be worn with the front point over the forehead below the front hairline, so the flat board is parallel to the floor. The cap is not worn on the back of the head with the board pointing upward.
- Baccalaureate candidates traditionally wear the tassel on the right side of the mortar board until the regent formally confers the degrees upon the graduates during the ceremony. Master's candidates wear the tassel on the left side prior to degree conferral.
- Degree hoods are worn only by master's and doctoral candidates.
- The degree level, as specified by the Academic Costume Code, determines hood dimensions. The gold and white satin lining represents Towson University colors. The velvet band color on the front of the hood signifies the degree earned.