Residential Accommodations

TU provides housing accommodations on a case-by-case basis for students with a documented disability in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The Office of Accessibility and Disability Services (ADS) and Housing and Residence Life work collaboratively in order to provide approved housing accommodations for students with disabilities to allow for full inclusion in the residential community. Only students with documented disabilities for whom living in the residence hall is not viable without an accommodation qualify for housing accommodations.

The university will prioritize requests based on documented need and space availability. Requests must be submitted and reviewed on a yearly basis as per Housing and Residence Life timelines for housing applications. While Housing and Residence Life will make every effort to honor a student’s location preference, assignments are made based on the approved accommodation(s), and specific residence areas or buildings are not guaranteed.

Examples of accommodation requests that can be applied for:

Low Occupancy

A low occupancy room is a double room.

Private Bedroom

A private bedroom is a private sleeping area within a shared apartment, quad or corridor. A request for a private bedroom must clearly demonstrate how sharing a sleeping area would have a significant adverse impact on the student’s ability to live in a residence hall. The request should include an explanation of how common ways of adjusting to a roommate would not remediate the issue (e.g., using headphones, using a sleep mask, or negotiating shared use of a space).

Proximity to Bathroom or Semi-private Bathroom

If close proximity to a bathroom or use of a semi-private bathroom (sharing with one other student) is a necessary accommodation for a student, the need must be clearly addressed in the documentation. There are no fully private bathrooms in TU residence halls.

Physical Modifications or Accessible Space

Students needing an accessible living space and/or a physical modification to their living space must indicate their specific needs. Examples of modifications may include a ground level room, wheelchair accessibility and modifications for students with hearing or visual impairments.


TU provides student furniture that meets certain space and fire safety requirements. Students requiring other furniture/equipment related to their disability (e.g., a micro-fridge), must clearly demonstrate the need for this accommodation.


If no carpet is requested, the documentation must indicate a disability with a specific impairment that necessitates this accommodation.

Examples of accommodation requests that cannot be applied for:

Roommate requests

Roommates are assigned to students with disabilities in the same manner as other residential students. A specific roommate request based on a disability is not considered a reasonable accommodation and cannot be evaluated under the accommodations process.

Specific building or Room requests

A request to be assigned to a specific residential building or room on the basis of a disability is not considered a reasonable accommodation and cannot be evaluated under the accommodations process. Instead, students should request the specific type of accommodation needed (e.g., a building with no carpet, a room outfitted with a flashing alarm, etc.).