Professor, Department Chairperson
Ph.D. Communication Disorders, Pennsylvania State University, 1993
M.S. Communication Disorders, Pennsylvania State University, 1990
B.S. Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, Towson State University, 1988
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Emanuel has been a professor at Towson University for over two decades. Her professional
passions include teaching students, mentoring faculty and program development. She
created the first doctorate program in the history of Towson University. The Doctor
of Audiology (Au.D.) program was nationally one of the first programs of its kind.
In 2009, she published a texbook called "Hearing Science" to support a course she
had taught since her first year at Towson University. In 2011, Dr. Emanuel received
the University System of Maryland Regent's Award for Excellence in teaching. She has
written, presented and mentored faculty in the areas of program development and teaching.
Certification & Licensure
- ASHA CCC-A
- Maryland State Licensure in Audiology
- Cooper, S., Emanuel, D. C., & Cripps. (2012). Deaf studies alumni perceptions of the
academic program and off-campus internship. American Annals of the Deaf, 157 (4),
- Emanuel, D. C., Alterman, M., Betner, M., & Book, R. (2012). Development of a video
for pure tone hearing screening in schools. Journal of Educational Audiology, 17,
- Emanuel, D. C., Donai, J. J., & Araj, C. F. (2012). The awareness of the profession
of audiology among entering college students. American Journal of Audiology, 21, 41-50.
- Emanuel, D. C., Ficca, K., & Korczak, P. (2011). Survey of the diagnosis and management
of auditory processing disorders. American Journal of Audiology, 20, 48-60. doi: 10.1044/1059-0889(2011/10-0019)
- Emanuel, D. C., Henson, O. E. C., & Knapp, R. (2012). Survey of audiological immittance
practices. American Journal of Audiology, 21, 60-75.
- Emanuel, D. C., Robinson, C. G., & Korczak, P. (2013). Development of a formative
and summative assessment system for Au.D. Education. American Journal of Audiology.
- Emanuel, D. C. & Letowski, T. R. (2009). Hearing Science. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott,
Williams & Wilkins.
- Emanuel, D. C., Marczewski, C., Nagle, S., & Fallon, K. (2015). A survey of the auditory
processing protocols of speech language pathologists. Contemporary Issues in Communication
Sciences and Disorders
- Taylor, E. J., & Emanuel, D. C. (2013). Assessment of the efficacy of a hearing screening
program for college students. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology
Pure Tone Hearing Screening in Schools Work