Career & Internship Support
Students have the opportunity to gain practical work experience, learn new skills, and develop professional contacts through internships.
Students have the option to complete up to six credits of internship toward the 15 elective credits required in the major. The contact hour requirement for the three credit internship is a minimum of 150 hours and a six credit internship is a minimum of 300 hours. Internship contact hours can be completed in one semester or two and must be completed under the direction of a worksite supervisor. All internships must be approved by the Department of Kinesiology’s Exercise Science Internship Coordinator prior to start.
Benefits of learning experiences available to students during their internship experience include:
- Observation of professionals in the field
- Opportunity to utilize concepts and skills learned in the classroom
- Opportunity for a hands-on, practical, real-world experience
- Demonstration of leadership and organizational skills
- Development of professional contacts
- Clarification of future career directions and goals
Towson University is ideally located in the metropolitan Baltimore-Washington area with access to a large number of internship sites within the exercise science industry. Students have had the opportunity to complete internships in a variety of settings.
In order to be eligible for a credit-based internship, students must meet the following criteria prior to the start date of a proposed internship:
- Completion of KNES 265 and KNES 313 (must receive a “C” or higher in both)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater
- Academic major in Exercise Science
- For information on the approval process and course requirements, please contact the Department of Kinesiology’s Exercise Internship Coordinator