We assist university personnel in effectively carrying out their responsibilities
by providing advice to help assure compliance with state of Maryland, University System
of Maryland and Towson University policies, procedures, regulations and requirements.
Management Advisory and Compliance Services (MACS) examines and evaluates the effectiveness
of Towson's system of internal control and the quality of performance in carrying
out assigned responsibilities. We also provide continual oversight of Towson's internal
controls, risk management and performance quality. Our scope includes:
- Reviewing the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and
the means used to identify, measure, classify and report such information
- Reviewing the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans,
procedures, laws and regulations, which could have a significant impact on operations
and reporting and determining whether the university is in compliance
- Reviewing the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifying the existence
of such assets
- Appraising the economy and efficiency with which resources are employed
- Acting as liaison with all external audit groups and coordinating responses to and
compliance with audit report comments
Responsibility and Authority
MACS has full and free access to all university activities, records, properties and
personnel. We are free to review and appraise all policies, plans and procedures of
MACS is a staff function and, as such, has no authority to make operating decisions,
to direct anyone in operations to take action or implement any of its recommendations.
These tasks are the responsibility of the university's officers.
To permit the rendering of impartial and unbiased judgments essential to the proper
conduct of reviews, MACS is independent of activities reviewed.
Approved by Alan Leberknight, Vice President and Chief Fiscal Officer, 10/5/2006