Tax Return Filing

Each year, students (including international) may be required to file a tax return.  This depends on the total amount of money earned during the previous year and the filing limit set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  This website provides filing requirements information when it becomes available after January 1 and/or as published from the IRS.

 What Students Need to Know About Tax Return Filing

  • Regardless if your parents claim you as a dependent, you may also be required to file a tax return depending on the amount you earned last year.  Read more about Filing Requirements for Dependents.
  • The federal filing requirement is different than the state of Maryland's.  Here are the Federal Filing Requirements; and be sure to also read about Maryland Filing Requirements.
  • Even if you are not required to file a tax return BUT taxes were withheld (box 2 of W2),  you should file to receive a partial or full refund.
  • W2 forms (year-end tax reporting) are required by law to be mailed/sent to individuals no later than January 31 of each year.
  • The Central Payroll Bureau issues form W2 for all Towson University employees, including students. 
  • For a W2 Duplicate Request follow the instructions on Central Payroll Bureau's website.
  • You can also access your W2 and all your payroll data by signing up for the Payroll Online Service Center.  To do this you will need your social security number, date of birth, agency number (360224) and check/advice number (if you can't find this, call the Financial Services help line at 410-704-5599, option 1).