Applying to TU

Towson University welcomes those who have served our country in the military. TU has been recognized in the top 15 percent of military--friendly colleges in the United States. Join us.



 For admissions purposes, a veteran is defined as a current or former member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Services who has served 30 days or more on active duty.

Freshman and Transfer Admission

Prospective students will be eligible for admissions consideration based upon high school or transfer coursework or upon competency testing in critical skill areas (reading, mathematics, etc.). Students should study the requirements for admission to see which scenario best suits them.

Students who choose competency testing must have been out of school for at least three years. Students are eligible for only one test session each semester, and are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible to ensure adequate processing time for the evaluation of the placement tests. Referrals for such testing cannot be made until a formal application has been filed, complete with all appropriate academic credentials in official transcript form.

GED Recipients: For admissions purposes, the high school equivalency (General Education Development) examination standards established by the Maryland State Department of Education (or similar agencies in other states) shall be used as an alternative to high school graduation. Unless accompanied by acceptable SAT results and a partial high school transcript with to render an admissions decision, GED recipients will be referred for placement testing before an admissions can be rendered. Minimum subscores are not required of GED recipients.

Non-Traditional Students

Admission will be granted to any non-traditional candidate who places into 0 or 1 developmental courses. Non-traditional candidates for admission are exempt from testing for admissions purposes if they possess a critical reading, math or writing SAT score, or ACT equivalent, of 500 or above.

Non-Degree Students

Undergraduate non-degree enrollment is another option for taking classes at Towson University, since it allows you to take college classes without submitting any additional academic information except an enrollment form. Non-degree enrollment allows you to establish an academic record at Towson, as the courses you would earn could be used toward completion of a TU degree if you later choose to be admitted to degree candidacy. If you wish to use VA program funds for educational purposes, it is possible if you are concurrently applying to be a degree candidate- please contact Towson's VA certifying officer for more information.

 Graduate Students

You can apply to the Graduate School at Towson University by completing an application online or by downloading and printing the application in PDF format. All students must submit an application fee and official transcripts with the application. The application fee will be waived for veterans who present a copy of the DD-214. Several programs also have supplemental applications and additional requirements. Application deadlines vary. Please see individual program requirements for more information. Questions? Call 410-704-2501 or e-mail

 Residency Requirements

Persons with the following status shall be accorded in the benefits of In-State status for the period in which they hold such status:

 A full-time active member of the Armed Forces of the United States whose home of record is Maryland or one who resides or is stationed in Maryland, or the spouse of a financially dependent child of such person.  Students that qualify under this provision will retain In-State status for tuition purposes as long as they are continuously enrolled regardless of a change in military assignment or status of the active member of the military.

A veteran of the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge who, within one year of discharge, presents documentation that he or she attended a secondary school in the state for at least three years, and graduated or received the equivalent of a high school diploma from a secondary school in the state. The veteran must present documentation and register at a USM institution within one year of discharge for this provision to apply.