VA Benefits

Military and Veterans Center

The Military & Veterans Center (MVC) welcomes our community to get in touch with us:

Contact: 410-704-2992 or by   us.

By appointment: Click here to set up an appointment (in-person or virtual).

Visit: Our newly renovated space at Psychology Building, Room 107, Monday - Friday (8 am - 6 pm).

VA and Other Educational Benefits

Disclaimer: The Towson University Military & Veterans Center is operated by employees of the university who work with the Department of Veterans Affairs to process your benefits on your behalf. We do not determine benefits eligibility.

We encourage our community to meet with us at any time during normal hours to discuss your benefits. You can set up a meeting with us here.

First-Time Applying for VA Benefits or Continuing to Use Benefits 


First-time veteran and dependent students should Apply for Benefits within the Department of Veterans Affairs eBenefits website. Once you have a received your Certificate of Eligibility, please email it to .

Declaration of Intent to Use VA Benefits

All new and continuing veteran and dependent students intending to use educational benefits must each semester fill out our online Declaration of Intent to Use VA Benefits form after they've enrolled for classes.

A Declaration of Intent to Use VA Benefits Form is required to be submitted for each semester that a student wants to use their educational benefits. If necessary, you can also use benefits retroactively, provided that the VA has determined you are eligible to do so.

The Military & Veterans Center is responsible for re-certifying veterans and their dependents each term to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Please send appropriate documentation and materials to the Military & Veterans Center as soon as possible to ensure timely processing and disbursement of benefits. 

To contact TU’s School Certifying Official (SCO):

Toby Frevert

Veterans Benefits

Veterans may be eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits through these programs:

  • Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness & Employment) — Eligible students (generally, if you have a disability rating of 20% or higher, you can qualify) coordinate through their VA counselor and the Military & Veterans Center to have tuition, fees, supplies and books paid for by the VA.

NOTE: In addition to being used for undergraduate programs, this benefit can also typically be used for continuing education and graduate programs here at Towson University. A veteran student can be eligible for this benefit and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®).

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®) — Eligible students are allocated a certain percentage of their tuition and fees paid for by the VA. A book stipend and a Monthly Housing Allowance is available when student is enrolled for the term.

NOTE: For Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®) students, to learn more about your exact benefits based on your eligibility and enrollment at Towson University, please visit the VA's G.I. Bill® Comparison Tool here.

Dependent Benefits

  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®) — Same as above with two additional offerings:

    Fry Scholarship — Provides benefit eligibility for children of active duty members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

    Yellow Ribbon Program — Allows schools to enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition and Fees cost that exceeds the in-state tuition and fees. Students can receive $1000 per semester.

  • Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance) — Educational assistance is paid monthly during the academic term directly to dependents of veterans with a service-connected permanent and total disability or died as a result of service.

Current Military Personnel Benefits

Active Duty, National Guard, and Reservists may use VA education benefits and/or tuition assistance, or other programs to pay for or get reimbursement for tuition and fees.  

  1. Create an account in the ArmyIgnitED. TA requests for courses MUST BE MADE no earlier than 60 days and no later than 7 days prior to the start date of the course.
  2. Choose an Education Goal and Degree Program in ArmyIgnitED to be reviewed by your Army Education Counselor. Email  if you do not see your desired degree programs in the ArmyIgnitED Portal, or if you have any questions about your Degree Plan.
  3. Once your Education Goal and Degree Program path are approved by your Army Education Counselor, enter the courses you wish to use TA for within the ArmyIgnitED Portal.

NOTE: If you’ve been activated during the COVID-19 emergency, please check with your unit’s leadership to see if you qualify for additional VA benefits, like Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®).