The Office of Sponsored Programs and Research is the first point of contact regarding
human subjects research at (or involving) Towson University faculty, staff or students.
The Common Rule
Final revisions to the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects (aka, the Common Rule) were published on January 19, 2017. Towson University’s IRB intends to implement
these rules beginning January 19, 2018. We have been working diligently to develop
procedures and guidelines that will comply with the new regulations by this deadline,
including a new deadline system. Please read more on our Process Overview page for our current processes and procedures.
What Is the Institutional Review Board?
The use of human subjects in Towson University faculty, staff or student research
requires approval by the appropriate university review committee, the Institutional
Review Board (IRB). The IRB is appointed by the president, and is comprised of volunteers
from TU’s faculty and staff, and at least one member of the community. The IRB is
responsible for reviewing research involving human subjects to ensure compliance with
all governmental regulations with the use of human subjects. Approval of the IRB must
be obtained prior to the involvement of human subjects in research, and for any modifications
to the project after IRB approval which would impact the human participants.
Applicable federal regulations are detailed in Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 46.
Towson University Institutional Review Board Members
Have questions that may be related to your academic major or discipline? Contact your
IRB college representative.
- Compliance Specialist: Ashley Dawson, OSPR Staff
- Chairperson: Elizabeth Katz, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Vice Chairperson: Bethany Willis Hepp, Ph.D., Department of Family Studies and Community Development
Representatives from the College of Liberal Arts
- Harjant Gill, Ph.D., Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice
- Bruce Mortenson, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE COLLEGE OF Business and Economics
- Melissa Groves, Ph.D., Department of Economics
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE COLLEGE OF Education
- Deborah Gartland, Ph.D., Department of Special Education
- Scot McNary, Ph.D., Department of Educational Technology and Literacy
- Lijun Jin, Ed.D., Department of Elementary Education
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE College of Health Professions
- Devon Dobrosielski, Ph.D., Department of Kinesiology
- Peter Lisman, Ph.D., Department of Kinesiology
- Peggy Korczak, Ph.D., Department of Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology and Deaf
- Saradha Ananthakrishnan, Ph.D., Department of Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology and Deaf Studies
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE Jess and Mildred Fisher College of Science and Mathematics
- Todd Moyer, Ed.D., Department of Mathematics
REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE COLLEGE OF Fine Arts and Communication
- No representatives at this time.
- Greg Dildine, Community and Civic Volunteer
Towson University Information
- Federal-Wide Assurance Number — FWA00003648, expires 9/2021
- IORG Number — IORG0002307
- IRB Number — IRB00002844