Citizenship Requirements

Federal Aid Citizenship Requirements

As explained in Eligibility Requirements, to apply for federal aid programs and TU's need-based Institutional Grant, you must meet these federal aid citizenship requirements.  (Undocumented and DACA students do not meet these federal requirements, but are eligible for other aid programs.) To meet the federal aid requirements, you must be in one of the following categories:

  1. U.S. citizen or naturalized U.S. citizen
  2. U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island)
  3. U.S. permanent resident with one of the following forms of documentation:

    Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C)

    An Arrival/Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or Departure Record (Form I-94A, with the endorsement “Processed for I-551. Temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence. Valid until….Employment Authorized.

    A United States Travel Document annotated with “Permit to Reenter Form I-327(Rev. 9-2-03).
  4. Other eligible non-citizen with one of the following designations and documentation:

    Refugee — with Form I-94 or I-94A with a stamp showing admission under Section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), or U.S. Travel Document annotated with “Refugee Travel Document Form I-571 (Rev. 9-2-03).”

    Asylum granted — with an I-94 or I-94A with a stamp showing admission under Section 208 of the INA.

    Persons paroled into the U.S. for at least one year  with an I-94 with an appropriate stamp that has not expired.

    Cuban-Haitian entrants — I-94 or I-94A with stamp “Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending).”

    Conditional entrants — I-94 or I-94A with an appropriate stamp (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).

    Victims of human trafficking  certification or eligibility letter from the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), or a T-Visa (e.g., T-2 or T-3) for a spouse, child, or parent of a trafficking victim.
  5. You are a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” who is a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act.
  6. You are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau. Citizens of the Republic of Palau are eligible for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and Federal Work-Study. Citizens of the Federal States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands are only eligible for Federal Pell Grants.

Documenting Your Citizenship Status

If you meet these requirements, when you file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the FAFSA processor will attempt to confirm your citizenship status from federal databases. If they are unable to verify your status, they will ask us to collect citizenship documentation. Please note: the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) allow students to photocopy citizenship documents for the financial aid process.

In addition, for eligible students who are not U.S. citizens, we must confirm your status with USCIS or DHS before we can offer you financial aid. This process can delay the processing of your aid application by up to 30 days.

Ineligible Citizenship Categories

You do not meet the federal aid citizenship requirements, if you have undocumented or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status or if you are an international student in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, or G Series visas (pertaining to international organizations).  For more information, see the aid options for International Students and Undocumented/DACA Students.