Credential Evaluation

We encourage our international community to apply early, especially if you have international transcripts and need previous course work assessed by a credential evaluation service.  

Credit Evaluations

To be reviewed for admissions you must submit your international academic records. Based on your application type, you will want to read the following:  

Freshman/First-Year Applicants 

  • Secondary school students who have international transcripts must send official documents directly to University Admissions from the reporting school(s).
  • If your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.
  • If you apply for admission before graduating from high school, you must submit an official (or attested copy) of all final transcript(s) after you graduate from high school.

Transfer Applicants

  • An official college transcript from all institutions is required for admissions review. If you attended or are currently attending a non-U.S. college, you must have your transcript evaluated and provide a course-by-course credential evaluation.
  • If you are currently enrolled, a final college transcript with final grades will need to be sent to University Admissions.

NOTE: A maximum of 64 credits may be transferred from community colleges or other two-year institutions in the U.S. or abroad, while a maximum of 90 credits may be transferred from a four-year institution or combination of two- and four-year institutions in the U.S. or abroad. A student’s final 30 credits must be completed at TU as an enrolled student.

Graduate Applicants

  • If your degree was completed outside the U.S.: The U.S. equivalent of a bachelor’s degree is required for admission.
  • If your degree was completed inside the U.S.: Submit official transcripts from the university to Towson University Admissions. Note: Students who have completed a degree in the U.S. will qualify for English Proficiency without submitting additional test scores.

International Credential Evaluation Companies

Applicants with foreign university work must submit a course-by-course evaluation with GPA from one of the following companies. An application will not be reviewed until the evaluation and all transcripts are on file.

  • Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE)
  • International Education Evaluation (IEE)
  • International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
  • SpanTran
  • World Education Services (WES)

Document Submission

A document is considered official if it comes from an original source and is not opened prior to arriving at the university. Please request your evaluation be sent to Towson University electronically (we will be notified when it is ready to download). Official documents may also be submitted via email by a verifiable school. If mailing documents, they must be stamped and sealed envelopes that we receive directly from your school, a credential evaluation company, or a test center in order to be considered official. 

Mailing Address:
University Admissions-International
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252-0001