About Glen Arboretum

Students in the Glen Arboretum

The Glen was dedicated in 1936 to provide an educational experience for students in the Baltimore region. Most students and faculty now know the Glen Arboretum to be the 12 acres of woods located at the center of the Towson University campus.

Here are a few things many people don’t know about the Glen Arboretum:

  • Many of the structures of the Glen — the pavilion, the caretaker’s cottage, the trails and walkways—were first created in 1933 through a Works Progress Administration grant.
  • Following its 1936 dedication, the Glen became central to campus social life, including May Day celebrations.
  • In the 1960s, a series of open air theatrical performances were produced in the Glen by the Glen Players.

Construction in the Glen

Integrating Science and Nature

Towson University’s new science building is under construction on the east end of the Glen Arboretum. When completed, the building and Glen will become complementary. Integrated into the building will be parts of the white oak removed from the Glen during construction. The building will have an outdoor classroom that will unite with the Glen both architecturally and scientifically.

A University Resource

Throughout the 1970s the Glen was a valuable resource for classes in biology and geology. Thanks to efforts by members of the Department of Biological Sciences and an outside consulting firm, a master plan for the Glen was established. This plan mapped out sections of the Glen to represent various regions of Maryland vegetation. The plan also categorized the historical elements of the Glen.

The Challenge Course

In 2006 the university provided funds for the construction of a Challenge Course, operated by Campus Recreation Services. The Challenge Course is a series of experiential learning-based programs designed for all age groups of varying physical abilities.

Image Gallery

View a gallery of historic and contemporary images of the Glen Arboretum.

The Glen Arboretum Board of Directors

In 2012 the Glen Arboretum Board of Directors was established by Towson University to oversee development of the Glen.

  • Donna Anderson, Manager of Landscape Services, Operations and Maintenance
  • Vanessa Beauchamp, Associate Professor, Biological Sciences
  • Geannine Callaghan, Director, Strategic Initiatives and Foundation Relations
  • James Hull, Professor Emeritus, Biological Sciences
  • Andrew Lyburn, Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures; Campus Recreation Services
  • Danielle Reifer, Student
  • Patricia Watson, Campus Planning and Sustainability Manager; Facilities Management, Planning