Get the details on how to apply to the Leadership in Jewish Education & Communal Service
This 38 credit program has rolling admissions. In order to ensure timely processing
we recommend submitting your application by August 1 for fall admission, December
1 for spring admission, and May 1 for summer admission. While we will continue to
accept applications and materials after these dates, we cannot guarantee that your
application will be reviewed in time for the start of classes.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university*
- Minimum of a B average: overall GPA of 3.0/4.0
*See exceptions to policy in Graduate Admissions.
Application Materials (Applicants with Bachelor's Degree)
- Towson University graduate school application with required fee
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Statement of Intent: a one page essay describing your academic and professional goals
and how this degree program can help you achieve those goals
- Sample of Work: a written sample of an academic research paper, thesis chapter, lesson
plans, or another type of field-related writing sample, no more than 20 pages
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from an academic source (email addresses
of recommenders must be entered on application)
- Current resume
- Applicants must be available for an interview with the director, in person or by phone
- Applicants from other countries are subject to the same requirements for admission
as are applicants from the U.S. Applicants from countries where English is not the
language of university-level instruction will be required to submit the results of
the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). JCS prefers a minimum score of
223 (computer-based) and 84-85 (internet-based). For information about testing center
locations, please visit the TOEFL website.
- Applicants from other countries will be required to demonstrate proof of funding in
order to obtain a visa to attend school in the United States. This information is
not required for admissions consideration.
The graduate school application may be completed online. Other admission materials
should be sent to the Graduate School Office, Towson University, 8000 York Road, Towson,
Admission Requirements (B.A. to M.A. Program)
The B.A. to M.A. degree program in Family Science and Jewish Communal Services is
designed to allow students to complete both the undergraduate and graduate degrees
in five years. It includes 9 units taken during the summer terms.
- Acceptance into Towson University with a declaration of the Family Science major
Requirements for the transition into the M.A. component of the program
- Completion of 90 units (may include enrollment and transfer units)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 by the end of the spring term preceding transition to the
M.A. component of the program
- Completion of the following courses with a grade of "B" or better: Statistics (MATH
231, MATH 237, ECON 205, or PSYC 212), FMST 301 and FMST 302
Non-immigrant international students: See additional information in International Graduate Admissions.
How to Apply
- Complete the Towson University online Graduate Application.
- International graduate students may have additional admission and application requirements.
See information about how to apply.