Academic Advising

Degree Completion Planning is a new advising process designed to more efficiently map your path towards graduation.

What is an Individualized Degree Completion Plan (IDCP)?

An IDCP takes the Suggested Degree Completion Plan of your major (or concentration or track) and personalizes it for your academic career according to your unique needs, goals, and aspirations. This plan could help you save time and money by highlighting a more direct route towards degree completion and graduation.

Who needs to complete an IDCP?

Eventually, all Towson and University System of Maryland students will be required to complete an IDCP. During the Spring 2015, students who have completed between 45 and 89 credits (including currently enrolled classes) are required to complete an individualized degree completion plan. In future semesters all students will be required to complete a degree completion plan at the point when they have completed 45 credit hours.

How do I start to create an IDCP?

Please follow the Degree Completion Plan Guidelines below:

Who can help me?

An adviser in your department will help you with this plan. If you don't know who your adviser is, contact the Women's and Gender Studies office.

How does creating an IDCP affect my advising hold?

Completing this plan will remove your advising/enrollment hold for the Spring 2016 term.

Where are the Suggested Degree Completion Plans located?

Use the following links to locate the appropriate Suggested Degree Completion Plan for your major and for the requirements for the minor (as there is no year-by-year suggested plan for minors).

Note that this is only a suggested plan for students who come to the university as declared Women's and Gender Studies majors. It is perfectly possible and very common for students to begin the major later in their academic program.

Why is it called a Four Year Plan of Study?

The heading "Four Year Plan of Study" is a convenient label and neither indicates nor promises that a major can be completed in four years. Transfer students may only be at TU for two years. Double majors or art, music, and dance education majors may need five years. Part time students may need more than five years. Consequently, it is more accurate to think of your plan as a "degree completion" plan without a time component.

Why am I doing this?

Your IDCP is required by Maryland Senate Bill 740 (SB 740). SB 740 is the Career and College Readiness and College Completion Act of 2013. It was signed into law May 2013 and requires all students to file an Individualized Degree Completion Plan.