Honors students may pursue internships to earn credit towards their Honors Elective
(or Experiential and Advanced Learning) requirements. Honors internships include a
research component and have a deliberate learning agenda related to your major or
To earn Honors credit for an internship, you should follow these steps:
- Identify a faculty advisor to supervise the research component of your internship.
This person may be a professor you've had class with, or a professor whose academic
expertise is in an area of your interest. The faculty advisor does not have to be
within your academic major.
- Contact honors AT_TOWSON to schedule an appointment with the Faculty Director to discuss the research component
of your internship experience and the topic that you and your faculty advisor plan
- Once you decide that you want to earn Honors Elective/Experiential and Advanced Learning
credit for your internship experience, complete the Application for Honors Credit Form. This form should be completed the semester prior to your planned internship. When you submit the Application for Honors Credit Form, you will also submit a completed
and signed internship syllabus and annotated bibliography.
- All internship syllabi must be completed, signed by the student and supervising faculty
member, and submitted to the Honors College by September 1 for the fall term, February 1 for the spring term, and June 1 for the summer term. All summer internship enrollment takes place during the 10-week Summer Session I.
- Once completed, present your work at the bi-annual Celebration of Scholarship and Learning or another approved venue.
You must obtain approval from the Honors College before your internship begins in order to receive credit toward the completion of your Honors College requirements.
The Honors College advocates on behalf of its students to cultivate and maintain relationships
with employers who have offered internships to Honors students in the past. In addition,
the TU Career Center provides access to internships through the Handshake database as well as regular internship fairs throughout the academic year.