Provost's Budget Office
Class / Studio / Lab Fees
DEPARTMENTS MAY SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR NEW CLASS/STUDIO/LAB FEES AND/OR REQUEST REVISIONS TO EXISTING CLASS/STUDIO/LAB FEES USING THE GUIDELINES AND PROPOSAL FORMS PROVIDED BELOW. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY E-MAIL AS A SINGLE PDF FILE. OTHER FORMATS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
CLASS/STUDIO/LAB FEE PROPOSALS ARE REVIEWED BY RPAC, AND IF APPROVED, GO INTO EFFECT THE FOLLOWING FISCAL YEAR. THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR NEW CLASS/STUDIO/LAB FEE PROPOSALS FOR NEXT FISCAL YEAR IS JANUARY 7TH, 2022. PROPOSAL SUBMITTED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
New fees and revision of fees to any course will be accepted this year. Any approved new class / lab fee will be instituted no earlier than for fall 2022 semester.
Any classes approved to charge enrolled students a new class / lab fee must list that fee and how it is being used on the course syllabus. This is achieved by providing the www.towson.edu/provostpbo/documents/class_fees.pdf link on the syllabus along with a description of the items for which fees are potentially used. A copy of the syllabi must accompany the submitted proposal.
Any department approved to charge students a class, studio & lab fee must submit a semester accounting of how the class/lab fee monies are spent. Please see below the schedule to be followed. RPAC will review the submissions on a semester by semester basis and an annual review of each department's class fee budget balances after the close of the fiscal year.
* Each department keeps track by class number (e.g., KNES 246) expenditures used with class fees collected.
* This information is collected on a semester basis (i.e., Fall and Spring)
* Fall's report is due to PBO by January 17th (pbo AT_TOWSON)
* Spring's report is due to PBO by May 17th (pbo AT_TOWSON)
* Reports will be given to the RPAC subcommittee for their review
* All class fee expenditures should be completed by April 1st
* In July, following the fiscal year close, PBO will provide the RPAC subcommittee a fiscal year ending report showing budget balances for each department class fee account.
Any department seeking approval to charge enrolled students a new class / lab fee must demonstrate appropriate spending of current fees (Fall 2021 term fees during Fall 2021; Spring 2021 fees in an appropriate time frame, and well before the end of the spring 2021 term).
Please contact the PBO directly for elimination or reduction of existing class / lab fees.
Proposals and supporting materials will only be accepted in electronic form (as a single pdf file) submitted by e-mail as specified on the class / studio / lab fee proposal form.
If you have any questions please contact Dr. Babu Baradwaj at bbaradwaj AT_TOWSON or 410-704-5773.