Strategic Partnerships & Applied Research
We advance Towson University’s role as an anchor institution.
One of six administrative divisions at TU, the Division of Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research is the business and public engagement team of Towson University. We open the doors of the university to find creative solutions to pressing problems, further community collaboration and development, increase learning opportunities, and generate economic development, in Maryland and across the region.
More About Us
Leveraging the combined expertise of our team, we strengthen Maryland's communities and address opportunities and challenges; create engagement and enrichment opportunities for individuals and organizations; and solve real problems facing our region alongside the business, nonprofit, and government sectors.
- January 2004: President Robert Caret created the Division of Economic & Community Outreach to further TU's role as a premier metropolitan university. The Division's charge was to provide a focus for engagement with the external community and to provide a path into TU's research and project talent. James Clements served as the Division's first vice president.
- December 2012: Under the leadership of President Maravene Loeschke, the Division was renamed the Division of Innovation & Applied Research. During this period, Vice President Dyan Brasington led the Division with a focus on innovation, business incubation, and problem solving as they related to workforce and economic development issues.
- July 2018: The Division is renamed the Division of Strategic Partnerships & Applied Research to more closely align with the current goals and initiatives of Towson University. The new name builds upon the Division's strong foundation in applied research and creates new pathways for the Division to expand strategic partnerships across the state.
The Division is positioned to lead the way by doing what we do, and have always done, exceptionally well—putting the knowledge and resources of Towson University to work for the communities it serves.
- The Center for GIS (CGIS) empowers clients with GIS technology and solutions through data development and analysis, application design and development, and training.
- Our Continuing and Professional Studies offerings jump-start careers through professional certification courses that address critical skill gaps in high growth industries.
- IT Services provides secured cloud and managed hosting services. Some of the most visible public facing web sites in Maryland have been developed and are hosted in our data center.
- The Dr. Nancy Grasmick Leadership Institute offers a robust portfolio of values-driven offerings for individuals and organizations that create transformational outcomes for leaders at any level in their careers and across all industries.
- The Office of Partnerships & Outreach manages the presidential priority BTU—Partnerships at Work for Greater Baltimore and provides communications and convening support to faculty and staff as well as external partners.
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Towson University provides continued learning and cultural enrichment through academic and social programs for adults, age 50 and older.
- The Regional Economic Studies Institute (RESI) is the leading expert on Maryland’s economy and provides economic and policy analysis services across the region.
- The StarTUp at the Armory is TU’s front door for start-ups, small businesses, as well as our region’s largest corporations. This state-of-the art 26,000 sq. ft. space includes 6,000 sq. ft. of free co-working space and meeting rooms where entrepreneurs and executives can connect with each other and to TU’s programs and people.
We are Innovative
We discover, research and build new skills to advance solutions and remain competitive.
We are Collaborative
We reach across networks and organizations to achieve maximum results.
We are Problem Solvers
We are efficient, tenacious experts who get stuff done.
We are Passionate
We are purposeful, hardworking professionals who energize, engage and inspire others.
Through partnerships, TU is making positive impacts and transforming lives throughout Greater Baltimore.BTU—Partnerships at Work
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute offers academic, social and cultural enrichment opportunities for adults 50+.Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
The Dr. Nancy Grasmick Leadership Institute offers a robust portfolio of results-driven programs for organizations and individuals.Start Your Leadership Journey
Fifth annual awards celebrate TU’s partnerships, community impact
2022 BTU Partnership Awards celebrate projects saving endangered turtles, giving technology new life, and inspiring entrepreneurship.
StarTUp named North America’s top university economic development initiative
StarTUp recognized by the University Economic Development Association (UEDA) for excellence in talent development, innovation, community development.
TU one of only 80 to earn national designation in economic engagement
Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) commission recognizes TU's impact, innovation and economic engagement.
Great leadership matters
From multi-day workshops to full-day seminars, the Dr. Nancy Grasmick Leadership Institute has a program to meet your leadership development needs.
College Cup Innovation Challenge Pitch Event
6–8 p.m. at StarTUp at the Armory
Join TU students as they pitch their ideas and compete for $10,000 and admission into the summer StarTUp Accelerator.
Tap Into TU
3–4:30 p.m. at StarTUp at the Armory
Explore ways your business, organization or nonprofit can connect with TU and tap into university resources.
Division of Strategic Partnerships & Applied Research
Towson, MD 21204