Department of Elementary Education
TU’s nationally recognized elementary education programs blend theory with practice. You’ll develop innovative strategies to facilitate active learning and instruction in diverse and inclusive classrooms.
We are TU.
Towson University has been a leader in teacher preparation for over 150 years, and its programs are recognized for their high quality and innovation. The Department of Elementary Education produces highly qualified educators who use research findings and experience-based practice to engage their students in the learning process. You’ll learn to implement highly effective strategies for planning, instruction, assessment and technology integration.
What We Offer
Find out more about the advantages of studying elementary education at Towson University. The department offers students:
- national and state accredited programs modeled to meet the critical education challenges of the 21st century
- a performance- and standards-based program rooted in a broad liberal arts background and professional preparation
- accessible and engaged faculty recognized for accomplishments in curriculum work, supervision, administration, consultancies and research
- highly individualized advising, with detailed degree completion planning, research and internship guidance, and career counseling
- field experiences that range from tutoring and small group instruction to whole-class instruction in the extended internship
- focus on issues of diversity, equity and social justice and how they impact curricular and classroom practice
- supportive cohort communities
Meet Lecturer Margaret Kirk
Margaret Kirk, TU lecturer, former principal and TU alumna, speaks about Towson University's model of preparing students to be teachers and leaders, and the value of student internships.