Academic Standards

Catalog Reference - Academic Standards Committee
Catalog Reference - Graduate Studies Committee

Towson University is committed to academic excellence. To ensure the Towson degree signifies student work that meets or exceeds this level of achievement, the university maintains standards and policies that apply to all students. Academic Standards & Policies, within the Registrar’s Office, is charged with enforcing these standards and policies. The policies are published every year in the undergraduate and graduate catalogs, and any revisions are effective as of the date of the catalog’s publication.

All appeals should be sent to the Academic Standards area of the Registrar’s Office. Undergraduate appeals are reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee (ASC), comprised of faculty, administrators and students, that meet regularly to formulate policy and to review appeals from students asking for exceptions to policies. Graduate appeals are reviewed by representatives from the Registrar’s Office and the student’s academic program when needed. The Academic Standards Committee is the highest level of appeal for exceptions to undergraduate policies, their decision is considered final.

Please refer to the frequently asked questions listed below for more specifics on Academic Standards, appeals and other common academic standing issues.

Frequently Asked Questions

Appeals to Academic Standards

Any kind of change to your enrollment from the current or a past term could affect your bill or your financial aid package that has already been awarded. It is highly recommended that you check with the Student and University Billing Office or Financial Aid Offices if you have any questions about the potential impact of a course change.

Students appealing for a selective withdrawal (asking to be withdrawn from only one/some courses in a particular term), must include an explanation/rationale as to why they were able to be successful in some of their courses but not the course(s) in question. Selective withdrawal appeals that do not include this information will not be reviewed by the committee.

While appeals are kept confidential, any disclosures of sexual misconduct that are made to any university employee must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator’s office will then reach out to provide resources and information. Maryland law requires that any disclosures of child abuse or neglect be reported to our Towson University Police Department.

The Academic Standards Committee (ASC) reviews undergraduate appeals during closed meetings twice monthly throughout the academic year. All appeals are submitted in writing. Notification of the decision will be sent a few days after the meeting via your TU email address.

Appeal letter and supporting documentation may be faxed, mailed, emailed in pdf format or dropped off in person.

The Registrar's Office reviews appeals concerning late registration, withdrawals, or course repeats. Appeals and documentation should be sent to .

Students appealing a dismissal, earned grade, graduation deficiency, or a time limit extension to complete their program requirements will submit their appeal via the Office of Graduate Studies.

Academic Actions

Academic Warning letters are sent when an undergraduate student fails to attain Good Academic Standing:

1-29.5 units - > 1.75 CGPA

30+ units - > 2.00 CGPA

Graduate students are notified of Academic Warning when the student fails to meet graduate Good Academic Standing:

Total of all units - > 3.0 CGPA

Please be advised, beginning with the 2021-2022 academic year, the minimum grade point average required will be as follows:

Units Earned or Attempted             Minimum Good Academic Standing CGPA
1-29.5                                                  1.75
30+                                                      2.0

Academic Warnings cannot be appealed.

The Academic Warning can be removed from your record upon graduation by request if no further academic action occurred. 

Academic Suspension and Probation (Undergraduates Only)

No, an academic suspension cannot be appealed.

Students have two options after being academically suspended:

  1. Students may abide by the terms of the suspension whereby they will not be eligible to attend TU for one semester. 
  2. Students may request to participate in the Academic Renewal Program (ARP) administered by the Academic Advising, Retention & Completion Office, which offers an alternative to suspension and allows you to continue to attend TU.

After a student has been academically suspended, they are placed on academic probation. Students on probation are limited to 13 units per term. Students have 3 academic years or 24 calculable units to return to good academic standing or they will be academically dismissed.

If students return to Good Academic Standing in the summer, they must contact  to have their record reviewed.

Mid-Year Warning (Undergraduates Only)

Students who fail to attain good academic standing at the end of the fall term are placed on mid-year warning. This warning is permanently noted on the student’s record.

Academic Dismissal (Undergraduates Only)

Students can submit an appeal one year after their dismissal. Please contact the Academic Standards Office for questions regarding the process to appeal an academic dismissal.


Undergraduate students may change to a Pass grading option until the final day of the term for withdrawals by submitting a Change of Schedule form to the Registrar's Office, ES223. 

Graduate students are not eligible for the pass grading option.

Grades of C or higher will earn a PS grade. Grades of D+ or below will be posted to your record and calculated into your CGPA.

Withdrawing from a class by the published deadline will result in a grade of “W” for the class. This is not punitive and not used in calculation of your CGPA.

If you receive financial aid, please see drops & withdrawals.

Grades of “FX” indicate that the student stopped attending the class without withdrawing or never attended the class. The “FX” grade is calculated into your CGPA.

Contact your professor to arrange for an “Incomplete” grade for the class if you have verifiable circumstances. An “I” is assigned to the record and students have 180 days to complete the class or negotiate an extension with the professor.

Grade appeals are progressive: 1.) Professor 2.) Department Chair 3.) Dean 4.) Academic Standards Committee.

Course Issues

The unauthorized repeat notation means that a Third Attempt of a Course form was not completed for approval prior to taking a class.

A transfer petition form must be completed and submitted for approval prior to taking a class at another institution. 

Undergraduates may transfer 64 units from 2 year schools and up to 90 units from 2 & 4 year schools combined.

Graduates may transfer up to 50% of their coursework depending on the program’s individual transfer policy. 

Be sure to carefully read the Instructions/Policies page to avoid delays.

Students are by default limited to 19 units for undergraduates and 15 units for graduates during fall and spring semesters. The limit for summer is 13 units.  

Students who wish to request an overload of their maximum units should email Records and Registration ().

Typically students with a 3.00 cumulative GPA are approved to take an additional 3 units. Students with less than a 3.00 cumulative GPA or who are requesting more than an additional 3 units will be referred to the Academic Standards Committee for further review.       

Submit a Catalog Selection Petition. Petitions must be signed by their department chairperson. Catalogs are valid for 10 years with a 1 year extension available as needed.  

Dean's List (Undergraduates Only)

Full-time undergraduate degree candidates will earn Dean’s List recognition each fall and spring term provided they complete a minimum of 12 calculable units and attain a GPA of 3.50 or higher.

Part-time undergraduate degree candidates will earn Dean’s List recognition each academic year provided they complete a minimum of 12 calculable units and attain a GPA of 3.50 or higher during that academic year. An academic year is designated as fall through summer and includes the January Minimester. To qualify, the student must be part-time for the entire year.

Pass (PS), Audit (AU), and Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades do not apply toward the 12-unit minimum required for Dean’s List.

Students are first informed they have earned Dean’s List with a notation placed on their transcript for the respective term the award is earned. Students then receive an electronic notification via their TU email approximately 3-4 weeks after this transcript notation is added. Towson University does not publicly post the names of students who have earned Dean’s List.

Contact Information

Registrar's Office/Academic Standards & Athletic Compliance

Enrollment Services Center/Room 242
8 am - 4:30 pm