Department of Secondary & Middle School Education
The Department of Secondary and Middle School Education is recognized for strong academic programs that blend theory with practice. You’ll develop innovative strategies for facilitating active learning and instruction in diverse and inclusive classrooms.
We are TU.
Towson University has been a leader in teacher preparation for over 150 years, and its programs are recognized for their high quality and innovation. The Department of Secondary and Middle School Education produces highly qualified educators who use research findings and experience-based practice to engage their students in the learning process. You’ll learn to implement highly effective strategies for planning, instruction, assessment and technology integration.
With the increasing secondary and middle school-age population and the impending retirement of many veteran teachers, the need for secondary and middle school teachers is greater than ever.
What We Offer
Find out more about the advantages of studying secondary education at Towson University. The department offers students:
- nationally accredited programs modeled to meet the critical education challenges of the 21st century
- performance- and standards-based program rooted in a broad liberal arts background and professional preparation
- accessible and engaged faculty recognized for leadership in teaching and research
- highly individualized advising, with detailed degree completion planning, research and internship guidance, and career counseling
- increasingly responsible field experiences, from tutoring and small group instruction to whole-class instruction in the extended internship
- a focus on issues of diversity, equity and social justice and how they impact curricular and classroom practice
- supportive cohort communities
Meet Professor David Vocke
In this short video Professor Vocke talks about what makes TU’s education programs so strong and why our graduates get hired.
Towson University’s secondary and middle school programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Maryland State Department of Education.
Teacher Certification in Four Years
Interested in teaching math or science? Towson UTeach enables you to complete both a Bachelor of Science degree and all course work for middle and high school teacher certification in Maryland in just four years. You’ll also begin teaching in local schools your very first term.