Chosen & Preferred Name Resources

TU students, faculty and staff can select a chosen or preferred name for use in TU communications, including OneCard, email, Commencement and more. Your legal name may be required in some instances.

How to Update Your Chosen/Preferred Name

  1. Submit a Chosen/Preferred Name, Pronoun and Gender Identity Request Form to request a chosen/preferred name. You also use this form to update your pronoun and gender identity. Requests will be considered by the Office of Inclusion and Institutional Equity. 
  2. You will be notified of a decision within 3-5 business days via your TU email address. In the event that a request is not approved, an explanation will be provided and you may resubmit changes. 
  3. Your new chosen/preferred name will be integrated into the following systems and applications within approximately 48 hours of notification of approval: 
    • PeopleSoft Campus Solutions and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management (for example: Class and Grade Roster, Personal Data and Information Summary)
    • Blackboard
    • Microsoft 365 (OneDrive, SharePoint, and email)
    • OneCard system
    • Other applications (Handshake, Marching Orders, Phonebook, RMS, Fusion, EAB, myTU for Students and Mobile Experience)
    • To refine how your approved chosen/preferred name appears in Outlook, Webex and other systems, visit Net ID Management System and update the display names in your profile.
  4. OneCard updates: To get your updated OneCard, visit the Auxiliary Services Business Office after the 48-hour waiting period. There is no fee for one chosen/preferred name change, and you'll need to turn in your old OneCard. Charges may apply for additional chosen/preferred name changes on the OneCard.
  5. NetID and Email updates: To update your NetlD and email address after your chosen/preferred name change has been approved, Submit a TechHelp Request or call 410-704-5151.
  6. Housing and Residence Life updates: Contact to update your chosen/preferred name. 
  7. Alumni updates: Contact University Advancement at  to update your chosen/preferred name. 

TU will make every effort to accommodate chosen/preferred names when appropriate in new applications, systems and processes. Please contact  if you have any issues or questions.

Where a Legal Name is Required

TU is required to use a legal name for the following: 

  • transcripts
  • financial aid
  • payroll
  • financials (for example 1098T Federal forms, billing, refund checks, non-payment communications, payment plans contracts, and collection letters)
  • other instances where a legal name is required by law or university policy

TU will use a chosen/preferred name when feasible and make good faith efforts to update reports, documents and systems appropriately. Nonetheless, TU cannot guarantee your chosen/preferred name will be used in every instance or in a fashion entirely consistent with your expectation.

Changing Your Legal Name

Changing Your Legal Name in TU Records

Selecting a chosen/preferred name does not constitute a change to your legal name. Students should submit requests  to change their legal name through the Registrar’s Office using  the Change of Name or Gender Form and the Online File Drop.

Faculty and staff should follow HR’s process for current employees  through myTU's manage my profile. Questions about legal name changes should be directed to those offices.

Changing Your Legal Name in Maryland and Other States

For information on the legal name change process in Maryland, visit Maryland Courts Name Change. Each state has its own procedures for legal name changes, so if you reside outside of the state of Maryland, please contact the state in which you reside.


Commencement and Diplomas

Students participating in Commencement that would like their chosen/preferred name used for Commencement activities, the Commencement program and their diploma must apply for graduation and have their chosen/preferred name change approved by the following dates:

  • Spring Graduation: February 15
  • Summer Graduation: August 1
  • Fall Graduation: September 15

Anyone that does not apply for graduation and/or have a completed name change approved by these deadlines will still have the opportunity to update their chosen/preferred name for their diploma. The chosen/preferred name must be updated in the system by the last day of their graduating term to guarantee it can be printed on their diploma. Please note this exception to the deadline only refers to the diploma.

Students updating their name after the deadlines above will automatically have their legal name appear in the Commencement program and used throughout Commencement activities as it is listed on their PeopleSoft account. Students will have the option to enter a preferred name in the Commencement Registration process, but this preference will only be used for the ceremonies.

Frequently Asked Questions

Most names will be approved. Names that contain special and non-English characters (at this time) other than A-Z, hyphen (-), space ( ) and apostrophe ('), are explicit or offensive in nature, identifiers submitted to avoid a legal obligation, or to misrepresent oneself will not be approved. If you believe your chosen and preferred name has been denied unfairly, please contact  or 410-704-0203.

If you believe you are being discriminated against based on your identity, please contact us at  or 410-704-0203.

Once a chosen and preferred name form is submitted, another submission cannot be requested until the prior submission is approved or denied. You may update your chosen and preferred name, as necessary and within reason.

Individuals wishing to change their sex and/or gender marker may do so after providing legal documentation (i.e., license, passport or birth certificate) of a sex and/or gender marker change. Students  should  submit requests  through the Registrar’s Office using  their  Change of Name or Gender Form and the Online File Drop and should contact the Registrar’s Office at 410-704-2701.

Employees should contact Human Resources at 410-704-2162.

No. To receive an updated diploma with your chosen and preferred name you must contact the Registrar’s Office.

Your chosen and preferred name will only be updated in Housing and Residence Halls after you contact Housing and Residence Life (HRL) at , otherwise your Legal Name will appear. HRL can also help you change your name after move in, as necessary.

Contact Information

Office of Inclusion and Institutional Equity

Administration Building
Suite 2210
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.