Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion, enriches the educational experience of students, supports positive workplace environments, promotes excellence, and cultivates the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
The University Diversity Council (UDC) facilitates the establishment and maintenance of a diverse, inclusive and equitable campus environment. The Council carries out its mission by:
- Setting Priorities for resource allocation to address issues, concerns, and/or problems that may negatively impact the campus climate;
- Conducting periodic climate assessment, including problem-solving based on results of survey data;
- Providing Structure for the development and implementation of an institutional action plan consisting of measurable short and long-term goals;
- Monitoring Outcomes to track the development and maintenance of college-level, department-level, and unit-level goals to support the institutional action plan;
- Determining Expectations to provide clear guidelines and feedback to colleges, departments, and units; and
- Working closely with the Diversity Action Committee (DAC) in cross-campus collaboration to review/approve goals that facilitate and advance diversity and inclusion.
The Diversity Action Committee is composed of a cross section of members of the academic and administrative divisions of the university and representatives of the student body. The committee exists to support the institution's Strategic Diversity Goals and makes appropriate recommendations for the success of campus-wide diversity initiatives to the University Diversity Council. To further fulfill its mission to promote awareness and acceptance of diversity, the committee will:
- Identify barriers that may hinder diversity initiatives.
Support diversity throughout the curriculum and in campus events and activities.
- Commit to recognizing, appreciating, and celebrating the individual and collective achievements of TU's diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- Facilitate and promote ongoing opportunities for public discourse relating to diversity.
- Support the implementation of university-wide initiatives in support of TU's Strategic Diversity Goals.
- Collect, assess, and disseminate data on campus climate and attitudes toward diversity.
- Coordinate institutional efforts to address diversity and inclusion.