Online & Hybrid Teaching
FACET is dedicated to working with our institutional partners to provide faculty members at Towson University the most updated evidence-based resources on designing and delivering effective online and hybrid courses.
We ask that you join us in being proactive and consider these teaching and learning strategies or other ways to support student success.
Enhancing Online Student Success
Record Your Classroom Meetings
Record your classroom meetings and post recordings on your Blackboard course page.
View this brief PowerPoint to learn how to use your classroom technology to do this: OTS Classroom Technology Overview
Here is a simple text document that provides support for recording your classroom meeting: Guidelines for Instructional Lecture Capture
Classroom training is available to show you how to record in the classroom: towson.edu/ccltconsults.
You may also find out what type of equipment is available in the classroom virtual tour, found on this website: towson.edu/cclt
Virtual Office Hours
Hold virtual office hours using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
View this brief video to learn how to do this: Blackboard Collaborate for Virtual Office Hours
Give students who are absent the opportunity to participate in a class that they missed through the use of the discussion board tool within Blackboard.
- Creating Rigorous Online Discussion Board Assignments
- Additional discussion tips:
- Extend in-person class discussions to the Discussion Board.
- Design in-person class discussions that require thoughtful and detailed responses.
- These discussions require more time than the in-person class period.
- Post the discussion question or prompt on the week’s discussion board forum.
- After the in-person class meeting, ask one of the students to summarize the discussion on the online forum as a prompt for the whole class.
- All students, including the ones who are absent, can contribute to the discussion.
VoiceThread - collaborative spaces with video, voice, and text
After uploading the recorded classroom session, use a short VoiceThread for clarifying questions that students raised in the in-person class. This could include additional sources or explanation about learning activities. This VoiceThread video can be uploaded inside the weekly folder.
Online Assessments and Assignments
Here are some additional ideas that will help you to create and offer your exam easily for online deployment.
- Review your placement of assignments in your syllabus and consider moving those due in the first weeks of class to later dates.
- For laboratory courses, frontload “lecture” portions of your course, moving lab meetings until later in the semester.
- Send Announcements with information about learning activities that will be the focus of the in-person class meeting.
Email FACET if you need support in any online teaching areas or to schedule an appointment with an instructional design consultant.
Hours: Virtually from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday by appointment
Email: facet AT_TOWSON
Please call for support or submit support tickets via email.
Classroom Technology Support
Please chat or call to receive support and/or schedule a one-on-one training session.