Challenge yourself! Pursue an honors degree in geography.
Students who earn an honors degree in geography graduate with a sense of tremendous
accomplishment. In addition, they increase their marketability to employers and graduate
schools. The honors program is academically rigorous. Students complete an intensive
research project in their area of interest and gain a firm grounding for graduate
school and the job market.
- Students many be admitted to the program no sooner than the spring of their sophomore
- Students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.25, and a 3.50 in their major,
or the consent of their faculty adviser.
- Minimum 40 hours total
- Core Requirements (19 units)
- Regional Course Requirement (3 units)
- Elective Courses (18 units)
- Minimum 6 units of Honors Directed Reading (GEOG 498) and Honors Thesis (GEOG 499),
which may also serve to satisfy 6 of the 18 upper-level elective units needed for
This program includes 6 to 9 units in seminars, directed readings, and research projects
in the student's major. A senior thesis is required, as is an oral defense.