SCS offers equipment booking, collection and return at our Cook Library location. Current students, faculty and
staff may use our online resource booking system—ORBS—to reserve the circulating and lab-based equipment summarized below and to sign-up for workshops and demos. Some equipment is also available from the TUNE Computer Lab.
To learn more about ORBS, checkout these self-help titles:
ORBS includes documentation and videos for most of our resources; you can access this
information before booking or use the documentation links included in the booking
confirmation email you receive. All email messages will be sent to your TU email address, and you must present your TU OneCard in order to collect equipment or use lab-based resources.
Circulating Resources: Cameras, Tripods, Microphones, etc.
Our circulating resources may be used anywhere, on or off campus, for up to four days
at a time. Your prompt collection and return of equipment is essential for the smooth
operation of this service, consequently SCS routinely suspends the borrowing privileges
of those who repeatedly return equipment late. Before booking equipment, please review
our reservation guidelines, terms and conditions at the bottom of this page; they
are designed to offer fair, dependable access to as many borrowers as possible.
Circulating Resources Summary
- Zoom H2 Digital Audio Recorders (DAR) / USB Microphones
- Zoom H1 Digital Audio Recorders (DAR) / USB Microphones
- audio-technica Pro 88W Wireless Lavalier Mic
- MDrill One Pro USB Mic
- Polsen OLM-10 Wired Lavalier Mic
- Rode Podcaster USB Mic
- Zoom H2 DAR in USB Mic Mode
- Zoom H1 DAR in USB Mic Mode
Cameras, Fixed Lens
- Sony HDR-CX560 Camcorder
- Sony HDR-CX550 Camcorder
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Waterproof Camera
- Kodak Zi8 Pocket Camcorders
- Logitech Pro 9000 USB Webcams
Cameras, DSLR & Mirrorless
- Canon EOS 90D w Canon 18-135 Zoom Lens
- Canon EOS 80D w Canon 18-135 Zoom Lens
- Canon EOS 70D w Canon 18-135 Zoom Lens
- Canon EOS 60D w Canon 18-135 Zoom Lens
- Sony Alpha 6300 Mirrorless w Sony 16-50 Zoom Lens
Cameras, Action & Spherical
- GoPro HERO6 Black Action Camera
- GoPro 5.2K Fusion Spherical Camera
- 360fly 4K Spherical Camera
- RICOH Theta V Spherical Camera
- Samsung Gear360 Spherical Camera
- GoPro Chest Harness
- GoPro Flex Clamp
- GoPro Head Strap
- GoPro Suction Mount
Tripods & Stabilizers
- Manfrotto/Bogen 3001BPRO Tripod w Pan Head
- SLIK 700DX Tripods w Pan Head
- Sony VCT-R640 Tripods w Pan Head
- Manfrotto Smartphone Tripods w Ball Head
Virtual Reality Headsets
- Shinecon VR Headsets (require your Smartphone)
Lights & Set Equipment
- Genaray LED-6200T Video Light Kit
Non-circulating Resources: Studios, Printers, Scanners, etc.
Our non-circulating resources may be used within SCS facilities only and include large, fragile or complex devices. Like the circulating resources, most
of these items are bookable via ORBS. However, prompt collection is required; items not collected within 15 minutes of the booking start time will automatically
become available to others. If you are running late, log into ORBS and edit your booking or call SCS. Staff will collect and hold your TU OneCard until you return the resource. Removal of non-circulating equipment from SCS facilities
will result in suspension of borrowing privileges.
Non-Circulating Resources Summary
- Studio A (7'x12') for Audio and Small-Scale Video/Photo Production
- Studio B (7'x12') for Audio and Small-Scale Video/Photo Production
- Studio C (12'x25') for Group and Large-Scale Video/Photo Recording
Power Station Computers
- SCS Power Station A for high-performance applications
- SCS Power Station B for high-performance applications
- Gemini DJX-05 & DJX-07 Headphones
- Sony MDRV6 Headphones
- Canon LiDE110 Color Flatbed Scanner
- Epson 3490 Color Flatbed Scanner
- Epson V700 Photo Scanner
- QR Code Mats for Qlone 3D Scanning App
Virtual Reality Equipment*
- Oculus Rift VR Headset & Controllers
- HTC Vive VR Headset & Controllers
- Oculus Quest VR Headset & Controllers
- *Currently available during weekly OTS Reality Check events and by faculty request
Printers (by Appointment)
- HP Designjet Z5400 42" Large-Format Inkjet Printers
- Ultimaker 3 and S5 Printers
Misc Input & Output Devices
- Blu-ray Disc Burners USB
- M-Audio Axiom 49 USB/MIDI Keyboard
- Kensington USB Trackball
Imersive video, 3D printing, extended (AR, VR and MR) reality experiences, and complex
data processing for 3D modeling are all examples of emerging technologies that various
TU groups are already using. The Office of Technology Services (OTS) and the Faculty Academic Center of Excellence at Towson (FACET) are working together to provide the campus with support and access to existing equipment.
To use TU’s equipment for academic and scholarly projects or for training on how to operate
it, contact the SCS Service Desk.
To use TU’s equipment or for training on how to operate it, contact the SCS Service Desk. Faculty can learn how to integrate emerging technology into their courses, get answers
to general faculty-specific questions and provide feedback by visiting FACET’s webpage.
OTS Virtual Reality Checks
During regular semesters, Student Computing Services hosts virtuality reality open
houses called OTS Virtual Reality Checks. Join us for one or more of these free weekly sessions to try-out our available Virtual
Reality (VR) systems: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Sony Playstation VR, and Oculus Quest.
Gain insight into VR and its potential academic and skill development applications.
Walk-in participants are welcome, but those who sign-up through the SCS Online Resource Booking System (ORBS) will receive priority access. Just sign into ORBS, click Workshops and subscribe to the event(s) you plan to attend. Each participant must sign a liability
waiver and will be spotted by a staff member.
SCS Power Station Computers
Our Dell Precision 5820 workstations are configured and optimized for high-performance
computing applications such as spherical and immersive video production, photogrammetry, high-definition video rendering, and large data file processing and
analysis. The current configuration includes:
- Intel Core i9-9980XE CPU @ 3.00 GHz and 32GB DRAM
- Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GPU
- 1TB SSD (user files removed after booking)
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit OS
- Applications include Adobe CC Master Collection, Rhino CAD, Black Magic DaVinci Resolve,
GoPro Fusion Studio, GoPro VR Player, SPSS, and more
To reserve an SCS Power Station for up to 24 hours:
- Sign into SCS ORBS at towson.edu/scsorbs.
- Select Make Booking, set What would you like to book? to Rooms, set your desired times, and click Search Assets.
- Select Computers (COM), click Book, describe your intended use under Notes, and click Book. ORBS will send you an email confirmation.
SCS Power Stations are intended for computing projects that cannot be efficiently
completed using a computer with a more conventional configuration. SCS reserves the
right to cancel Power Station bookings that do not demonstrate a need for this level
of processing power.
Because our supply of high-demand resources is limited, OTS Student Computing Services
cancels bookings that do not adhere to our guidelines. Our goal is to make our resources
available to the largest possible number of borrowers and to prevent unfair booking
practices. You may make only one booking at a time for a particular type of kit. For example,
you may not make three, back-to-back bookings in order to have the kit for 12 days.
On the final day of a booking, you may log into SCS ORBS and renew/extend the booking
for up to four additional days, if it's available. If the kit is not available, you must return it on time as agreed to avoid suspension
of privileges. If you are planning a multi-camera shoot, you may request an exception
to this rule by emailing scspro AT_TOWSON well in advance of your need.
Terms & Conditions
By borrowing any equipment from Towson University (TU) Office of Technology Services
(OTS) Student Computing Services (SCS), you agree to the following:
- I attest that I am a current TU student, faculty or staff member and that I possess
a valid TU OneCard identification.
- I agree to take all reasonable steps to safeguard the equipment from damage and theft
and to return all of the equipment in the same condition I received it on or before
the due date and time indicated in my Booking Confirmation email. Further, I agree
to adhere to the Acceptable Use Policy, all applicable TU policies and procedures, the SCS Guidelines for Equipment Care,
and the Guidelines for Late Returns (below).
- I acknowledge my understanding that if I do not return the borrowed equipment by the
due date and time referenced above, SCS reserves the right to deny my future borrowing
- I acknowledge and agree that if I do not return the borrowed equipment within seven
calendar days of the due date, SCS will suspend my booking privileges indefinitely.
- I acknowledge and agree that if I have not returned the borrowed equipment within
fourteen calendar days of the due date, I will be invoiced for the replacement cost
of the equipment through the Student & University Billing Office, and may be subject
- I acknowledge my understanding that if I fail to pick up equipment without canceling
the booking, SCS reserves the right to deny my future borrowing requests.
- I acknowledge my understanding that this equipment is state funded and should only
be use for academic or extra-curricular learning projects and that use of this equipment
for charge-for-service private business activities will result in suspension of borrowing
and referral to The Office of Student Conduct.
- I acknowledge my understanding that TU, OTS and SCS are not responsible for file or
media loss due to equipment malfunction or misuse.
- SCS routinely deletes all borrower content (i.e., image, audio and video files) from
returned equipment. I understand and agree that it is my responsibility to transfer
any files to my own computer or storage device and to delete files from the equipment
before returning it.
- I am borrowing and using this equipment and all components at my own risk. TU will
not be responsible for any damages resulting therefrom.
Guidelines for Late Returns
Another borrower’s delay in returning equipment might prevent you from completing
an important assignment or project on time. Your delay in returning equipment will
have the same effect on others. Consequently, we regard your due date and time very
seriously and ask that you call us immediately (410.704.5151) should an emergency prevent
you from returning equipment on time.
If you do not return borrowed equipment at or before the due date and time in your
confirmation email, the equipment shall be OVERDUE.
- After 30 minutes, the system will send you a friendly reminder email.
- After 12 hours, the system will send you an OVERDUE notice describing the SCS overdue procedures and
restating the Terms & Conditions for borrowing equipment.
- Within 24 hours, SCS staff will create a TechHelp SR logging the incident; you will receive a copy
of this via email. The SR will be used to log telephone and other non-automated communications.
- Every 12 hours, the system will send you another OVERDUE notice; this will continue for 7 days or until you return the resource, whichever comes first. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY RETURNED
the equipment and believe our records are incorrect, by all means, let us know at
- After 2 days of OVERDUE notices, the system will ban you from making additional bookings and send
you a BOOKING PRIVILEGES SUSPENDED notice (email).
- After 7 days of OVERDUE notices, SCS will regard the resource as stolen and permanently ban you
from booking SCS resources.
- After 14 overdue days, TU will invoice you for the replacement value of the equipment through the TU Student
& University Billing Office. Like other university fines, an unpaid balance could
block registration or graduation.
When you return equipment late, we assign you 1 demerit per day, per item. If you accumulate 6
demerits, we will suspend your borrowing privileges for 2 months. The suspension is
enacted via a system ban; thus, you will not be able to book circulating equipment OR lab-based resources for the ban period. The point of suspension is to remove less
responsible users from the borrowing pool to reduce their impact on more responsible
When you make a booking, you designate a pick-up/collection time:
- For circulating equipment, if you have not picked up the equipment within one hour
of your scheduled collection time, your booking will automatically cancel.
- For non-circulating resources (e.g., studios, scanners, ect.), if you have not reported
to SCS within 20 minutes of your scheduled collection time, your booking will automatically