Blackboard is fully committed to delivering product experiences that conform to the
highest levels of global accessibility standards. Towson University’s Blackboard Support
Team knows that accessibility is an imperative, not an afterthought.
All Blackboard products are designed and developed with the internally recognized
Web Content Accessibility (WCAG) Guidelines 2.0 Level AA as well as the Section 508 standards in the United States. Read about how Blackboard is becoming more accessible.
Learn more about the importance of accessibility in education.
Resources for Instructors
Watch a Webinar on Blackboard accessibility
View this checklist for course accessibility
Tips for Making Your Course Accessible:
- Write plainly by keeping your sentences short and using simple words. Learn how to write accessible content.
- Use descriptive headings and apply heading formatting.
- Avoid using font styles, color, bold, italics, underline or strikethrough to emphasize
- Use purposeful images and include alternative text to those images.
- Make descriptive links when linking outside your course.
- Use lists over tables if you can.
- Properly list content using bullet points or numbered lists.
- All videos should be captioned.
- Format your files and documents to be accessible. Register for the OTS Training workshop: “Creating Accessible PDF Documents.”
- Provide students with clear expectations, instructions and directions for all assignments
Resources for Students
View useful keyboard shortcuts in Blackboard