You must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for all federal student and parent loan programs, need-based grants, the Federal Work-study program, and some need-based scholarships. Several federal loan programs do not require students
or families to demonstrate any financial need, but still require FAFSA data.
- FAFSA Applicants must meet all of the Federal General Eligibility Requirements.
- You must submit a new FAFSA every year.
- Each FAFSA applies to one academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer).
- You can submit it before you are admitted to TU.
If you haven't submitted this FAFSA yet, please submit it NOW! Late applicants can still apply for federal grants and loans, and TU grant funds may
still be available.
- This FAFSA is available now. (It opened on October 1, 2021.)
- We are encouraging all current TU students to apply early and submit it by Halloween
- Priority Deadlines for Grants from TU:
- January 15, 2022 for Freshman Applicants and Current TU Students
- March 1, 2022 for Transfer Applicants
- To apply for state grants from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC), all Maryland residents must submit a FAFSA by March 1, 2022.
- By early March 2022, we will start offering aid to admitted students who submitted FAFSAs.
- In mid-April 2022, we will start offering aid to current TU students who submitted a FAFSA and all
requested aid documents.
1) Submit your FAFSA
- Apply online at fafsa.gov.
- TU's FAFSA Code is 002099.
- (If you already applied, but didn't list TU's code, return to fafsa.gov to add it.)
To complete your FAFSA with the myStudentAid app, download it from the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
For help completing your FAFSA, use all the contacts and resources at the bottom of
2) Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Please use the FAFSA's IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically upload your data from the IRS to answer all the federal tax return
questions. This process drastically reduces errors, delays, and requests for additional documentation.
3) Confirm your FAFSA submission
Several days after you submit your FAFSA:
- Return to fafsa.gov.
- Confirm that your FAFSA was processed.
- Make sure that your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is not blank.
- Review all comments and the accuracy of your data.
4) Submit additional documentation to TU
- After we receive your FAFSA, we may need to request additional documents from you.
- To receive these requests, you must check your TU email and your Towson Online Services Student Center To Dos.
- For new students, we can prepare a tentative aid offer before you submit your documentation.
- For returning TU students, you must submit all required documents before we can offer
you any aid.
FAFSA Help Services