Aid Disbursements & Rebates

Paying Your eBill

TU will bill you one term at a time. Your online eBill from the Student & University Billing Office will include tuition and fees for the courses you have registered and, if applicable, other charges (on-campus housing, meal plan, parking, etc). The Student & University Billing Office will email your eBill and your due date will depend on your registration date. Financial aid awards do not change the amount that you are charged, but they do provide you with funds to help pay those charges. 

Parent Bill Access

To grant your parents or others access to your bill data, please visit eBill & Online Payment for instructions on How to Set Up an Authorized User and How To add an Alternative Email for eBill Notifications

Student & University Billing Office Links 

Applying Aid to Your eBill

Your aid will be disbursed for one term at a time. Most awards are split evenly between the fall and spring terms, but view your awards to confirm. We cannot credit your aid to your account until you have completed all the aid tasks on your Towson Online Services Student Dashboard To Dos list.

If you borrowed federal Loans, remember that your origination fees will be deducted from your loan disbursements.

If you complete all aid tasks by our deadlines, when the Student & University Billing Office generates your eBill, your pending financial aid will be listed on your bill as an offset against your charges. If you miss financial aid deadlines, we will be unable to authorize (approve) your aid by your bill due date.

If your charges exceed your authorized aid, you must pay the remaining balance by your due date. If you do not pay your eBill in full by your due date, the Student & University Billing Office will assess a $150 late payment fee and may cancel your course registration.

Canceling your registration — If you decide not to attend a term after you have already registered, you must cancel your registration online by the end of the Change of Schedule period. If you fail to do this, you will remain responsible for all your term charges.

We cannot apply Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds toward your bill. FWS earnings can only be issued in the form of bi-weekly paychecks based on your hours worked.

Private Scholarship Disbursements

The Student & University Billing Office will disburse private scholarships based on the policies of the private scholarship donor and TU.

  • If you are receiving scholarship funds from a private donor, and those funds are not already listed on your Your Award Notification, you may ask the Student & University Billing Office to defer that portion of bill by sending a copy of the scholarship award letter to the Student & University Billing Office. 
  • You are still ultimately responsible for any charges that are not paid by your scholarship.
  • You must also submit a Notice of Additional Resources Form to the Financial Aid Office. This form is one of our Online Aid Forms.

MHEC Aid Disbursements

If the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) offered you any of these state aid programs, we will post their award to your TU Award Notification after you meet both of the following conditions:

  1. You must accept the award in MHEC's MDCAPS system.
  2. You must also meet all of their eligibility requirements and report the same housing status to TU and MHEC.

Financial Aid Rebates

If your total semester aid exceeds your charges, or your aid disburses after you already paid your bill, you will have a credit balance on your TU financial account.

Any credit balance will be issued to you as a rebate check that you can use for books and out-of-pocket educational expenses. The Student & University Billing Office cannot start disbursing rebate checks for credit balances until ten days before the first day of classes each term.

  • For information about rebate disbursements and direct deposit, see Rebates.
  • If your eligibility for aid changes after your aid is disbursed, you may have to repay all or a portion of your rebate check. For more information, see Award Requirements.

Avoiding Rebate Delays

If you register for classes late, apply for aid late, or complete any aid tasks late, you may delay your rebate by many weeks. See aid application Deadlines and for all the other tasks that must be completed after you receive your aid offers, see Deadlines for accepting aid. The most common causes of rebate delays are late or incomplete aid forms and tasks, especially the items listed below.  

*For more information about these items see Online Forms.

Rebates for PLUS Loans from Two Parents

If two divorced/separated parents borrow separate PLUS loans for the same student, we can't control how aid rebates will be distributed between the two parents.  To avoid rebate problems, when borrowing the loan at both parents must specify that the rebate should be issued to the student, and must coordinate how those rebate funds will be redistributed or managed with the student.

Buying Books and Supplies

You should buy your books before the beginning of each term. Most students buy new or used books from the University Store or from other students.  If you are having difficulty buying your books because you haven't received an expected financial aid rebate yet, you can use the University Store's Textbook Advance Program.  This program allows you to charge your book purchases to a University Store account, but you must repay all charges to them before the end of the semester.   

Spend Your Rebate Wisely!

If you are receiving any federal aid, when you submitted your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you agreed to only use your federal aid funds for educational costs. You can use your aid rebate for books, room, meals, transportation or personal expenses. 

Unless some of your aid is disbursed late, you will receive one rebate disbursement each semester and must manage those funds to help cover your expenses throughout the whole semester. If you borrowed any student loans, remember that all unnecessary spending is increasing your student loan debt.