Towson University offers a variety of merit-based scholarships for new freshman and transfer students.
University Admissions Office Scholarships
Availability — The Towson University Admissions Office offers the following merit-based scholarships to freshman and transfer students who have demonstrated academic excellence.
To apply for these scholarships you must apply for fall semester admission.
Application process — To be eligible for these scholarships, you must submit your Application for fall Admission including all required documents by December 1. No additional application form is required.
Selection criteria — Most of these scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to students with the strongest qualifications. The minimum criteria and final selection criteria are listed below.
Scholarship recipients are notified on or about March 1.
All of these awards require full-time enrollment for each Fall and Spring semester.
- These are our largest awards for our most competitive freshman applicants. Awards amounts vary based on applicant strength and tuition rate (in-state or out-of-state).
- Funding is limited and final selection criteria are based on a competitive evaluation of each year's applicant pool.
Transfer Achievement Awards
- Community college transfer students with preference to students from MD community colleges.
- Minimum eligibility criteria — 3.5+ college GPA and 56+ units by time of transfer-students are evaluated based on credits completed by December 1st (excluding fall courses in progress at the time of application).
- Funding is limited, and final selection criteria will be based on a competitive evaluation of the applicant pool.
Top 10% Scholars Program
- Students who are admitted to TU from Baltimore City and Baltimore County public school students who are in the top 10 percent of their class at the end of their junior year.
- Completion of college prep curriculum in the same high school for four years
- Interested students must apply to TU by the deadlines listed above and their top 10 percent status must be verified by their high school. (The high school must provide our office with a list of weighted class ranks.)
- Applicants must also complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) but do not have to demonstrate financial need.
- Recipients receive renewable scholarships and opportunities for special services.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
- Honors College Scholarships — These scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to first-time freshmen and transfer students who are admitted to the Honors College. Scholarships are awarded based on available funding and current documentation at the time of scholarship review. Students are responsible for making sure that TU has received the most accurate information. Students must apply to the Honors College by December 1.
- Review our Departmental Scholarships listings for specific TU majors including our Science & Math programs.
- Use the TU Scholarship Seeker to search all available TU, MHEC and TU Foundation Scholarships.
- If you are a Maryland resident, apply for Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Scholarships.
- Search for Private Scholarships.
- If you have an exceptional academic record, also see Distinguished National Scholarships, Grants & Fellowships.
- Search for International Student Scholarships.