Stephens Hall, easily identified by its clock tower, is one of the original buildings on campus and today serves as a premier venue for music and theatre performances.
Constructed in 1912 when the state of Maryland purchased 80 acres in Towson, Stephens Hall was originally the Administration Building. The architect, Douglas H. Thomas Jr., modeled the imposing Jacobean-style building on Blickling Hall, an English manor house once home to Anne Boleyn, the second of King Henry VIII’s wives. Thomas also designed Baltimore’s Belvedere Hotel and the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus.
Located in the 7900 block of York Road, today’s Stephens Hall Theatre presents dance, opera, music, theatre and Asian arts performances. The theatre seats 680 in the main level and balcony and often hosts departmental and community events.
The Lieberman Collection of 40 oil paintings, sculptures, ink drawings, lithographs, photographs and art books is on display throughout the Honors College in Stephens Hall. The art collection, donated to the Honors College by Dr. and Mrs. Sidney Lieberman in memory of their sons, is on view by appointment only by calling 410-704-4677.