2+2 Elementary Education at College of Southern Maryland
Towson University (TU) and the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) offer a unique 2 + 2 program for certification in grades 1-6. The first two years you complete the Associate of Arts in in Teaching (AAT) at CSM. You then apply to TU for the second two years of the program, become a TU student, yet complete your junior and senior years at schools and CSM campuses in Calvert, Charles, and/or St. Mary’s County Public School classrooms.
The ELED program is a cohort program which admits a limited number of students each year, on a first come, first served basis. Students are encouraged to apply and submit all required documents early. Towson University is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
- Completion of an Associate Arts Degree in Teaching (AAT) in Elementary/Special Education or Early Childhood Education. Preferably from the College of Southern Maryland.
- Application and acceptance to Towson University.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher and a C or better in all required courses.
- Application to Towson University’s Elementary Education Program.
Post Program Admission
- After admission, but prior to starting classes, students will attend orientations at Towson University and also complete a Criminal Background, Immunization form, and a Speech and Hearing Screening.
- Students should plan to apply in the Fall/Winter for entrance into the program the following fall.
- Application Deadlines:
- December 1 (Scholarship consideration and Honors College)
- January 15 (Regular Decision)
- Program begins in the summer prior to entering Level I.
Towson University 2 + 2 Program Coordinator