Towson University (TU) and the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) offer a unique 2
+ 2 program for certification in grades 1-6. The first two years you complete the
Associate of Arts in in Teaching (AAT) at CSM. You then apply to TU for the second
two years of the program, become a TU student, yet complete your junior and senior
years at schools and CSM campuses in Calvert, Charles, and/or St. Mary’s County Public
The ELED program is a cohort program which admits a limited number of students each
year, on a first come, first served basis. Students are encouraged to apply and submit
all required documents early. Towson University is accredited by the Council for the
Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Maryland State Department
of Education (MSDE).
- Completion of an Associate Arts Degree in Teaching (AAT) in Elementary/Special Education
or Early Childhood Education. Preferably from the College of Southern Maryland.
- Application and acceptance to Towson University.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher and a C or better in all required courses.
- Application to Towson University’s Elementary Education Program.
Post Program Admission
- After admission, but prior to starting classes, students will attend orientations
at Towson University and also complete a Criminal Background, Immunization form, and
a Speech and Hearing Screening.
- Students should plan to apply in the Fall/Winter for entrance into the program the
- Application Deadlines:
- December 1 (Scholarship consideration and Honors College)
- January 15 (Regular Decision)
- Program begins in the summer prior to entering Level I.
TU 2 + 2 Program Checklist (DOCX)
Towson University 2 + 2 Program Coordinator