Towson University (TU) and the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) offer a unique 2
+ 2 program for certification in grades 1-6. The first two years you complete the
Associate of Arts in in Teaching (AAT) at CSM. You then apply to TU for the second
two years of the program, become a TU student, yet complete your junior and senior
years at schools and CSM campuses in Calvert, Charles, and/or St. Mary’s County Public
The ELED program is a cohort program which admits a limited number of students each
year, on a first come, first served basis. Students are encouraged to apply and submit
all required documents early. Towson University is accredited by the National Council
for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the Maryland State
Department of Education (MSDE).
- Completion of an Associate Arts Degree in Teaching (AAT) in Elementary/Special Education
or Early Childhood Education. Preferably from the College of Southern Maryland.
- All course grades of a C or higher
- Passing of PRAXIS CORE or exemption from PRAXIS CORE with qualifying SAT and/or ACT
- Application and acceptance to Towson University.
- Application to Towson University’s Elementary Education Program.
Post Program Admission
- After admission, but prior to starting classes, students will attend orientations
at Towson University and also complete a Criminal Background, Immunization form, and
a Speech and Hearing Screening. • Students should plan to apply in the Fall/Winter
for entrance into the program the following Fall Application deadlines: February 1
(priority) Note: Students may apply prior to having met all admission requirements.
- Program begins in the summer prior to entering Level I.
TU 2 + 2 Program Checklist
Towson University 2 + 2 Program Coordinator